Anyone found a good Universal Remote for a Dish PVR?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob McElfresh, May 25, 2004.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I know about the Philips Pronto and Home Theater Master programmable remotes.

But I just want a basic 4-5 device remote that includes our most-used PVR functions as hard-buttons:

- Guide button
    - Page up & down (for guide)
    - Skip Forward & Skip Back

I found a One For All remote that "said" it was for PVR's, but it did not have the special buttons needed.

(I have Dish by the way, but people with Tivo should have a similar problem.)

Sure, I can program my OneForAll 7 and over-ride functions, but then people have to remember that "L1" means skip forward and "L2" means skip back. And the learning buttons seem to never be placed under the thumb but off in a corner some place.

I need hard-buttons, placed under the thumb, for the frequently used functions described above.

What have you guys found that might work?

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

If you don't want to pony up the money for an HTM MX-500 or URC-200, the OFA 6131-M is about as close as you can get to what you want.

Really the HTM remotes are the best option, just get one and be done with remotes for 5+ years. Then people don't have to remember what any button does, just look at the screen. An extra $70 for something that you use nearly every day for years is a bargain.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

But I am trying to find a inexpensive alternative for 3 rooms. I did buy a OFA 6131 - but I programmed it at my mothers house for her system I put together, then did not have the heart to take it with me after she learned how to use it.

Perhaps I will hunt for another 6131.