What's new

Anyone for these Herbert Ross films on blu? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
THE GOODBYE GIRL---- GOODBYE MR CHIPS [1969]---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----PLAY IT AGAIN SAM.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
His masterpiece (IMHO) is the already-available THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION (see it if you haven't), but I'd like to see Sony release FUNNY LADY.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just re-watched Funny Lady the other night, and it looks wonderful up-converted. I suspect a Blu-ray of it would look as spectacular as the Blu-ray of Funny Girl looks.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I love Herbert Ross and I , too would no doubt spring for a blu-ray of PENNIES FROM HEAVEN but that's definitely one of those movies that's better to remember than it is to actually sit through. My GOD what a dismal downer that is! I always think of it fondly and fool myself into thinking I want to see it again and then, when I do, it's always so depressing!

Besides, who in their right mind puts Bernadette Peters in a musical and then doesn't let her SING????

Regardless, the beautiful production design (those Edward Hopper recreations!) and my own internal masochism puts me in the definite buy camp so bring it on.

I'd also happily spring for TURNING POINT, CALIFORNIA SUITE, GOODBYE GIRL, and FUNNY LADY.....

but.most of all, please please please......

the wonderful and woefully under-appreciated LAST OF SHEILA!!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm in for PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, THE TURNING POINT, THE GOODBYE GIRL and most especially, FUNNY LADY and THE LAST OF SHEILA.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Goodbye Mr. Chips is the only must of that group for me, but I highly doubt it would ever happen as the film was not a great performer at the box office. I was surprised to see it get the DVD release, and I'm quite happy with it. I would, however, release-date buy the blu. As for the rest, only Goodbye Girl is even a maybe.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969) is a wonderful film. I recently compared it to the Robert Donat original (as well as a few other similar films such as The Browning Version (1951)) and it really is the best of the bunch for me. The musical score, somewhat maligned, fits the film beautifully. It is a haunting film to me because it shows an apparently never-ending process that does in fact eventually change. I think our lives are like this: we mostly go from one day to the next, then all of a sudden, it all changes. Catch the melancholy opening song.

I should mention that Terrance Rattigan wrote The Browning Version as well as the screenplay for Chips 1969. You can see some influences.

This is one of the late-60's/early 70's musicals that were lumped together as being bad but are in fact mostly excellent. Sad to see so many fine films ignored because of a Zeitgeist change. Films included in this category (for me): Star, Hello Dolly, Paint Your Wagon, Darling Lili (somewhat), Chitty Chitty Band Bang and Lost Horizon.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Darling Lili" is an underrated fave in my book - a framed poster hangs on my wall. Would love for the complete original-length film on Blu-ray. Interesting that the complete version was released on DVD in the UK and Australia, but the US only received the shorter Director's Cut...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
classicmovieguy said:
"Darling Lili" is an underrated fave in my book - a framed poster hangs on my wall. Would love for the complete original-length film on Blu-ray. Interesting that the complete version was released on DVD in the UK and Australia, but the US only received the shorter Director's Cut...
Yes, that's why I bought both the U.S and The U.K DVDs. I really like this movie and I get irritated by the constant sneering at it. It may not be perfect - how many films are perfect? - but there's a lot that good about this movie.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The opening is so haunting and beautiful - Julie emerging out of the blackness to sing "Whistling Away the Dark". Great cinematography. There was a lot of turmoil at Paramount during the shoot, and Blake Edwards and Julie were pilloried by the press for things beyond their control. I too have both cuts of the film, and the longer version works better, IMO.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
trajan said:
THE GOODBYE GIRL---- GOODBYE MR CHIPS [1969]---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----PLAY IT AGAIN SAM.
Warner controls three of these. Need I say more.?

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Maybe now Warner will begin to release some of his films. [maybe]

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Roger Grodsky said:
His masterpiece (IMHO) is the already-available THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION (see it if you haven't), but I'd like to see Sony release FUNNY LADY.
Sony has licensed this to Twilight Time Entertainment for blu-ray release...it's coming on Dec. 9th, along with her self-directed "Yentl"!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks