Anyone flush-mount an amp in their sonosub (like svs) ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Dr, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

I just looked at how the svs powered subs ar emade and I really like the idea of flush-mounting the amp .. anyone do this? anyone have ideas on how to do this (well)?

i'm just concerned about supporting the weight of the amp (PE 250W)

thanks

2. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I just did this to mine last weekend. I don't have any pictures buy I'll try to explain.

I made two boxes. Actual just frames to place the amp in.

The first was the easy one. Just four pieces of 3/4" MDF two inches high and as long as you need to make a nice snug fitting frame around the amp.

The second has each end rounded to fit the inside diameter of the sonotube. The sides of the frame was run through the table saw to match the curve of the tube. This frame is built around frame one.

The facing edge of frame one is used to bolt the amp to, frame two is glued and screwed into the side of the sonotube. I cut the hole to match the dimensions of frame one by placing it inside the tube and tracing the two edges that lay flush. The connect these two lines along the curve. I then cut out the piece with a dremmel tool. The resulting hole will be 1.5" smaller that the finished amp frame. Giveing 3/4" to glue and screw into the sonotube.

In all, it wasn't that hard. I just made sure to screw and glue everything securely.

3. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

hmm some pictures (photo or drawn) woudl really be helpful. I mean, I do have an idea of how to do it, but i'm a little worried about teh weight of the amp pulling on the amp enclosure and the rather thing outer wall of the sonotube.. also making sure everything is leak-free is somewhat of a problem. Does your finished product look like the svs subs? or does it stick out a little?

thanks

4. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

From what I can see from the SVS website, I would have to say mine looks pretty close.

The amp does stick out a little. This is because to the external ribbing for cooling on my amp. I have the 120W from Parts express.

As for amp weight. I'm sure you could add bracing from the amp frames to the other side of the sonotube. Or, even easier and probably better, you could extend the sides cut in the table saw to make frame 2 look like a large H. The verticle pieces of the H would distribute the weight of the amp through the height of the tube.

Just make sure you add the volume of the amp and bracing to the volume of your tube.

I'm at work, so I'll see if I have time to make a picture.

5. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

Don't know how to post a picture, I've emailed two .gif images to you.

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer