Anyone fix bad cable signal with booster?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William T, Sep 21, 2001.

1. William T

William T Auditioning

I'm stuck in Manhattan trying to get a good signal for my Time Warner Cable dTV boxes. The main line running around the perimeter of my apartment is a "Quad 6" line, so the wiring shouldn't really be an issue. However, the signal does degrade the further I place the TV's from where the line comes into the apartment. Even where the line comes into the apartment the signal is weak. I'm thinking of using a booster to amplify the signal, but I'm not sure what effect it will have on the digital cable. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This sounds like you should call your cable company.
    If you are using a digital box, even a weak signal should look nearly perfect. The digital signals are much more robust than the analog so you should not see any difference from one side of the apartment to the other.
    Since you are seeing a difference, one of two things is happening:
    - You are seeing an Analog signal, not digital
    - Your signal is really, really bad.

3. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

With respect to any amplifier, be it audio or video; garbage in, garbage out. An amplifier's job is to amplify the input and put it on the output. The problem has more to with a low s/r ratio and no amplifier will correct that. If one were to take a crappy sounding reciever and put a high end amplifer on it, it will still sound like crap; only louder crap [​IMG]. Video is the same deal. Unless you can find one that is able to subtract noise from signal (which I don't believe exists), there is no other resolution than to call your cable company to resolve the issue.
    Danny