What's new

Anyone finding GT3....too easy???? (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I played the original Gran Turismo when it 1st came out, and I found it to be rather challenging.
Now; however, with this absolutely gorgeous looking GT3, I'm just about to hit the 50% mark on the game and I can literally count on 1 hand the races that I've had that were "good". Meaning, I had a real challenge winning.
I'm not some hardcore racer, even though I LOVE racing games, so I don't understand why I'm running a mid 80's win ratio?
I suppose I could've just lucked out and picked the right cars, upgraded them the right way, and have won alot of races by having a vastly superior car. BUT...I'm tired of it.
When I 1st got my IA license, completely finished the amateur league, went professional, entered my 1st race; I figured I'd better use one of my better cars since I'm racing pros now.
I used my 750hp, totally custom Z28SS. And...I destroyed the entire competition in Seattle. It was pathetic. Even my non-game playing girlfriend commented on how ridiculous it was!
What the f**k?!!?
After spending a month with this game, I'm really going to have to agree with all the posts that said that this is a beautiful game to look at, fun to play but has the same miserable AI of every single GT that came before it.
Maybe Polophony can spend a little less time with the eye candy next time around and actually give us some AI competitors......
frown.gif

Oh, BTW...I did get a great race last night on the endurance at Laguna Seca. I had my $2,000,000 Esparanti and was getting my ass handed to me by a Team Oreca Viper.
------------------
"...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".
[Edited last by Derrik Draven on August 18, 2001 at 03:08 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Making smart decisions and not rushing the game make it easier, so that could be why you are so good at it. I stopped at around 15% because it was boring and repetitive.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
The game can get easy if you use cars that are head and shoulders above the competition. This is easy to do as you progress because you win incredible cars. The game however, is as challenging as you want it to be. Do you have golds in the license tests for example? That is a true bitch.
Kip

Bryce D

Grip
Gran Turismo has gotten simpler and simpler from GT1.
The sad thing is that each US release has been simpler then its Japanese counterpart.
In GT1 there was no such thing as antilock brakes, or traction control devices. It was all about finesse, and all of the cars naturally oversteered.
When the US version came out not only did they ruin the great music of Andoh, they also toyed with the physics and made them patheticly arcade like, and extremely easy with near neutral balanced cars.
Then GT2 came out, and saw the incluson og ABD and TC devices. Also 4WD was THE WAY to go in teh game for supreme cheapness, we also saw the Suzuki Escudo entroduced into the fray allowing any moron that had ever played Ridge Racer (which was a great game in itself) to jump into Gran Turismo and beat any race with the "drive by brail" technique.
Again in the US version was relased (again with rapped music), and the physics engine was again tweaked adding even MORE understeer to the cars and with ABS standared on all cars, drifting was near imposible, and the long smooth drifts of GT1, and the somewhat controlable ones int he Japanese version of GT2, suddeenly disapeared.
Now GT3 is out, with TC, with ABS, with shift lights, and more driver aids that you can shake a stick at.
Plus you add to the fact that the AI was turned down after GT1, and has remained the same in GT2 and GT3 (as the base physics engine for both are virtually identicle). Overall the game has ridden out its hype engine and sold billions of copys simple to turn a profit. The proof of that is a GT2 game that can only be compleated to 98%. And a GT3 game that had models so complex that they did have enough time to make a decently large car list, and still alllow fot the ability to [R] mod the street cars, which is in reality the whole purpose of Gran Turismo by defination, Group-A GT racing.
Right now i own GT1 and GT2, both US and Jap. versions. GT2 Jap. gets played now and then, and the US version collects dust, and at the moment i have no idea where GT1 US is located...what in my PS1 now? GT1 Japanese. Its tough, challenging, and actually worth playing. And anyone that can play GT2 or GT3 efficiently, i guarente couldent turn one clean lap in GT1 Japanese. Its a totally differnt game.
Anyway, i dont know where im going with my rant, other then to say that the Gran Turismo series went from somthing great, to somthing that made money. I hope that if they ever make GT4 (knok on wood), that they go back to their roots in GT1, and provide a good challenging game that a 10 year old finds baffeling to play. That provides a good racing simulation experience for gamers the world over. And on top of that, dont touch the game as it transistions the shores.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Good post Bryce. I agree.
Not only do I wish they would've tossed in more cars, BUT...I really think that Polyphony gave us the shaft on the track selection.
Sure, they're beautiful to look at but, a bunch (most?) are the EXACT same ones from their very 1st game!??! Can someone please explain to me how the hell that isn't a sure fire sign of laziness???? Did they really think that we loved their tracks SO much, or that their shit doesn't stink and they invented THE BEST tracks ever, or that we just want to drive them over and over with each new version of GT?!!?
Ummm...yeah.
More cars, more tracks, more realistic AI and I'd be alot happier. The graphics are friggin' beautiful so, they don't need to spend a ton of the development cycle on them. Hopefully, they address the complaints the fans have.
------------------
"...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think they shouldn't mess around with the game between the Japanese and American releases, and they should leave the soundtrack as it is, but I think its OK for them to put in some driver aids. You can turn them off anyway, plus adding them makes it easier for people who wouldn't play this game anyway, which makes more MONEY.
The game is great nonetheless.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Easy? Try getting the SUPER License
and come back and tell me it was easy. I am going crazy trying to get it since I have all the other licenses and want to race the SUPER races.
I'm at 69% completion and lovin' every minute of it.
I agree some of the races are esay with a souped up car, especially a Formula 1 car, however the races that require a specific car, like the Vitz, Tuscan Challenge etc.. in the Professional League are much harder, even when that car is souped to the max.
IMO, The game is very challenging. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If you don't like how 'easy' GT3 has become, then bear in mind a couple of things:
(a) you can switch off traction control et al, buy realistic tires, etc; hence, this beef about 'it's been made too easy' is simply a non-starter, since you can easily reintroduce the difficulty
(b) the game isn't solely intended for people who've already played GT 1 and 2 - there are lots of new users, and they want some of the stuff which made the game so great. Hence whey there's repetition.
(c) anyone who has already played GT 1 and 2 will already be experienced, so of course the game is going to be easier - what did you expect?
I agree, however, that some races can become too easy by too liberal qualification controls (e.g. the MR races become a cake walk by using a F1 machine). Perhaps the bhp limitation which was in GT2 should have been retained? However, other races restricted to same-type machines are still pretty difficult unless you are really good at tuning.
However, the thing which annoys me is the nerdish emphasis on replays. Personally, I'd scrap this facility and use the space for a couple more racetracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks