What's new

Anyone find Superman II RD cut or Superman TM in HD-DVD? (1 Viewer)

David L

Agent
Went to best buy, circuit city and wal-mart. Neither place had any on order! Anyone find this at retail?

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Yes, I was in the Best Buy store near me in Phoenix Arizona. There were no copies of Superman: The Movie, Superman II: the Donner Cut or Superman Returns. The salesperson on the floor claimed they only got 3 copies of Superman Returns and those were gone as soon as they opened this morning.... 3 copies??? Isn't this the Christmas buying season? There was a friggin' stack of Blu-ray Superman Returns. Funny, the first two are only available on HD DVD and don't even show up... Call me crazy if you want but I smell a rat. Once a coincidence, maybe twice but this is the third time Best Buy has been less than timely with HD DVD in my area of town. How come Fry's Electronics always seems to get their shipments...? I did get my hands on the Superman Collection for $64.99 (what a steal at Fry's electronics) and damn if it isn't one of the most attractively packaged sets I've ever purchsed. I just wish they had offered it in HD DVD, but I will have to buy both just to have all those incredible extras.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Superman and Superman II are also available in Blu-Ray. My e-tailer has them both in stock, but not the HD-DVD versions.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I received all three Superman movies in HD-DVD from DVD Empire on Monday morning.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I don't know why I even bother with Best Buy but I got my discs so all is well.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
All three were available on BR and HD DVD at my Best Buy tuesday afternoon.
There were other missing titles though. (Mummy, Smallville)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Virgin Los Angeles didn't even order any of the Blu or HD releases of Superman or Superman II the donner cut. Only Superman returns.

The buyers at the corporate offices of Best Buy and stores like Virgin really need to get a clue.

There are two Best Buy's in my area and one also didn't have any of the non-returns HD releases. The other only received a few copies and those were gone nearly instantly (thankfully I called and had them put them on hold for me, otherwise forget it) AND the standard DVD 14 disc box set was sold out within 2 hrs of the store opening!

As someone mentioned above, this is the Christmas season. What kind of wimpy orders are they placing and money are they losing.

It was like Uncle's Day at the whorehouse at the Best Buy I went to, with all the Superfans there loading up their carts, and there was some major disappointment and grumbling amidst them at the lack of inventory. Extremely ridiculous.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Darren,

BB has ordered.... Doesn't matter what they told you in store....

One funny thing here in West Palm Beach Florida....

As I supected, the Blu_ray made to the store, yet the HD version did not..

So, any BB person that says that they are neutral is full of it.....

Dugger

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Didn't even bother looking for S:TM or SR HD-DVDs at Best Buy this week. Ordered them from Buy.com w/ the $20 off Google Checkout deal. Both flicks for $33.75 shipped. Screw Best Buy!

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Found all 3 on HD-DVD at my local BestBuy. I was surprised because I got the last copy of Superman Returns they had although they still had 2 copies each of Superman the Movie and Superman 2. Anyway, my local BB also moved the HD discs to the front of the movie section this past week so that was cool too - a whole aisle just for HD on disc: HD-DVD was on the left side of the aisle and Blu Ray on right side. :)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Hey guys,

I went to a whole bunch of stores here in south Fla for the last two weeks, to get my brother some HD-DVDs for his birthday. What a freaking joke!
I went to circuit city--you may remember, the morons of DIVX!
They had a huge set-up for Blu-Ray, a giant plasma playing X3, a display by the front door with most titles.

For HD-DVD??? I kid you not, as far back in the store as possible, on a 5 foot high wire rack, filed like books with only the spine visible, right next to the cash register, so that if youy wanted to browse, you had to move every time a customer bought something!!!
Then I ask the guy why the diss to HD-DVD? The punk says, "have you seen the picture on Blu-Ray??" I pointed out the picture was the same only the capacity was different. Then he says, "but there is all kinds of things Blu-Ray can do....." By the way, another jerk says if you want a HD-DVD player "it needs to be special ordered, but we have have Blu-Ray players available"

On tuesday I went to a Wal-mart 'superstore' to get the 3 'Supe' and they had 1, yes one, Blu-ray title for sale X3.
Target 'superstore' had Superman Returns (only) on Blu-Ray, but not on HD-DVd.
Brandsmart (a huge electronics 'superstore' in SoFLA) Superman Returns (only) in blu-ray.
Best Buy had ALL 3 Superman HD releases in BOTH formats, so I bought all 3--twice.

If the retailers are going to try to queer the market on the formats and blu-ray ends up winning--I swear a blu-ray player is going to be under $100 before I get one.
I think my brother and other early HD-DVD adopters are screwed & I am pissed.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Hi Chris.

I never said BB didn't order it. That was Virgin. BB had them, they just had too few to meet consumer demand.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, my Best Buy and Circuit City only had Returns as well. Kind of weird. However, it does appear that another BB near me does have S:TM and Superman 2, so I guess I'll do an in-store pick-up for those tomorrow.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
Drove all over the Golden Triangle area and found one copy of Superman Returns at Best Buy.

Wal-Mart had bin tags for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, but had none. Target had only BD.

I never saw Superman I or II anywhere.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
The Best Buy in Dallas (Midway & 635) had tons of all three releases on HD DVD. I managed to snag the last copies of Returns and the Donner Cut on Blu-Ray at about noon on Tuesday. The Blu-Ray version of Superman the Movie was already completely sold out at BB by that point.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
I went to 2 Walmarts, one only carried the blu-ray of Superman Returns, the other only carried the HD-DVD. Very odd... The samething with The Ant Bully. I went to best buy after, they had only Superman Returns on HD-DVD, no blu-ray of it. They also didn't have The Ant Bully on HD-DVD. Very odd... When you guys order from DVDEmpire, what shipping method do you use? I end up having to order a lot of HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays so I am trying to find sites that ship to get them early or on the day of the released. I know Amazon.com only ships on the release date.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I've been ordering from DVDEmpire the last three years after DVDPlanet went down the crapper. They ship out the previous Friday and I have my weekly preorders on my doorstep every Monday like clockwork. I order with the Expedited Shipping (USPS) which gives an extra delivery transit day with Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks