What's new

Anyone Find Stay Hungry in Stores? (1 Viewer)

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I called a few places today and no one seems to have it in stock. They even offered to special order but I don't want to wait 3 months. I'm suprised considering arnolds fame now you would think they would at least get one copy in stock.

-Mike

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i pre-ordered this from DDD and was surprised to get it on Thurs, 2 days after it streeted.

here's my $.02 on the movie and disc:

watched it (for the first time) last night, and enjoyed it quite a bit.
not really what i was expecting and it was definitely...quirky- but not in the negative sense that word has come to mean-
in other words, i didn't think it substituted oddness for sincerity or convincing behaviour or satisfying resolutions.

MGMs disc looks decent enough. the print has a few problems with a couple of scenes looking noticeably dark and dingy.
it has a moderate amount of detail. at least grain isn't particularly intrusive.
i've seen a lot worse MGM efforts, but i've also seen a lot better from other studios for something of this vintage and budget.
i listened to about 15 minutes of the audio commentary w/ the director and Bridges and Field.
it sounds like a REALLY good track.
that is the only substanative extra (besides the traile which seems to show the entire movie in 3 minutes) but at least its a good one.

all in all for the $9 i paid for it, i'm very satisfied.
good performance from Arnold too.

this is going down as a very positive blind buy for me.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I've never seen the film mysyelf but I do want to get it since Im a big arnold fan and would like to have a complete collection of his work. I also hear he plays a violin in the film, is this true?. That being said I still have yet to find a copy in the stores. I might just end up ordering online if I don't end up finding it anywhere.

-Mike

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Arnold comes off very well in this film.
and yes he plays the fiddle (or fakes it very well).
it's a genuine performance, and in the commentary Jeff Bridges relates a story about Arnold telling him wistfully, this will probably be the only chance he will ever get to 'act' or something to that effect.
after this movie, he was pretty much just used as a bag of muscles.

it's a fine film, and i'm getting the feeling that its one of those kinds of movies that, the more distance i get from it, the more fondly i look back at it.

i've been pretty ruthless lately about selling off blind buys, even ones that i have enjoyed, after i watch them- simply to make space for more discs- but this i'm hanging onto for a while.

looking forward to hearing what you think of it after you see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks