What's new

anyone figure out how to get rid of that POP when BFD is turned on/off? (1 Viewer)

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
right now i just turn it on before the sub and turn the sub off, but i really hate that ultra-loud "POP" when you turn the damn thing on and off.. every time i forget the sequence of events, i think the sub is gonna be blown.. any ideas on building relay drive of some sort? or modify the circuitry of the bfd?

thanks

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
When powering up, turn the BFD on first, then turn on your sub amp. When powering down, turn the amp off first, then the BFD. This is assuming you are using a PA amp for your sub. If you have auto sensing on your sub amp, I think you may be out of luck.

This power up/power down sequence usually works in Pro Audio applications so I would assume HT to be the same.

Try it and let us know.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Or, just leave the BFD on all the time and you won't have to remember the sequence!:)
Brian

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you must turn off the BFD, then you'll have to resort to using little stickers on the power button, put a "1-on/2-off" on the BFD, and a "2-on/1-off" on the amp. :)

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
you guys aren't reading.. .. this is what i'm doing now.. I just dont wanna do it anymore :) Keeping it on all the time isnt something i like to do, plus i dont watch movies THAT often to leave it on all the time.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Why would you want to go modifying things when you will have to turn them off anyway. That doesn't make sense to me. Just memorize the sequence and do it that way.

You're going to be turning it on and off anyway, why spend the time and money to build a solution, when all you have to do is flip the switches in the right order.

If you are set on building something, I would suggest a noise gate of some sort to filter out the pop. I have an amp in my car with a built in noise gate just for this reason(poping).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike,

The solution to your problem is easy (not free, though): Get an Adcom ACE-515 line conditioner. In addition to power conditioning (which you may or may not need) it features a delayed turn on/turn off feature that will eliminate your problem.

The ACE-515 has separate designated outlets for components and amplifiers. It turns on the electronics first, then after 10 seconds, switches on the amplifiers (or subs, in your case). Bingo, no thump!

On power-down, it turns off the amps (subs) first, then allows 30 seconds for the capacitors to discharge before shutting down the electronics. Bingo, no thump!

I think Panamax makes something similar, but I’ve been using the Adcom for years and I love the delay feature. They list for around $200, but you can find them for $75-125 on e-bay.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Or you could get some X10 modules and a programmable remote. Then just setup a macro that will turn everything on/off in the proper sequence!:)
Brian

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
I guess you could use the single shot mode of the BFD to eliminate the pop -- just like it does in a PA system -- oh, wait, the BFD is causing the pop.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

FWIW, I leave my BFD and sub amp on all the time. The sub amp has an auto-sensing function that shuts it down when it's not receiving a signal. I doubt that either draws much current.

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
Why would you want to go modifying things when you will have to turn them off anyway. That doesn't make sense to me. Just memorize the sequence and do it that way.
obviously you're missing the fact that i'm quite lazy :D
was just trying to eliminate the extra effort
.. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread