What's new

Anyone feel a bit letdown by Shout! Select? (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
vnisanian2001 said:
I find it funny how even though Ironside isn't that great of a seller to begin with, Shout has no problem releasing more seasons of it. As for why certain shows get abandoned by big studios, it's because they don't make enough effort to let people know that they're available.
They have to be making SOME profit on the title to continue - and thankfully "off-the-shelf" masters exist.
smithb said:

Video quality of a release is all about the source used and what compression or other digital manipulations are performed. It has nothing to do with being released on MOD or pressed disks (i.e, bits are bits). When people discuss quality differences between MOD and pressed it is usually in reference to factors such as the possibility of stability and longevity differences. I'm not trying to introduce the debate to this thread or state a view (it's been discussed in plenty of other threads), but just trying to clear up what looked like a misconception of what the debate is about and nothing more. Enough said.

Edit: Jeff beat me to it, I type to slow apparently :)
The problem is most MOD programs are using whatever the lowest cost media available, and not quality made media. Produced right - DVD-R/+R media should last decades. It goes down to the quality of the dyes, and the materials used to make the disc. What are the studios using?
Mark Collins said:
Peyton Place Fans thought that Shout Select would be the perfect fit for a series like Peyton Place. The name of the show still brings a smile to the faces of those who remember Peyton Place. The fact Fox would not deal with for the release of more episode's states much.
They can't make the numbers work as a standard DVD release with wider circulation, why would they wouldn't want to limit themselves to a "Select" release with limited distribution.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

Ahem, I asked a question earlier in this thread:

Is it disrespectful to have faith that at least two of those three Fox shows that Nick mentioned will be completed by Shout! one day, and is it disrespectful to have faith that one day, they will eventually work things out with Fox?

You can have all the faith you want, for the time being however I don't think anything will change. Who knows what will happen down the road, anything's possible but I don't foresee anything changing unless the economy miraculously improves or FOX has an epiphany and decides to lower the fees they are demanding for the rights to release these shows. At this point I don't think either of those scenarios are likely and frankly I think it will take a miracle for FOX & Shout! to ever work together again. Of course remember that it is not just Shout! we are talking about here, there are other companies (VCI) who have licensed stuff from FOX and are now in the same situation as Shout! Factory in that they have been unable to come to an agreement to license more seasons of the show they were releasing. FOX appears to be one hard a$$ company and the way they operate (my way or the highway) means that you should be grateful that Shout! was able to get the rights to and release what they did. To sum it up, I think the only way things will change is if there is a shakeup in the home entertainment division at FOX and the current people are replaced by others who are more moderate and can view things in a more realistic manner.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Well thanks for at least respecting my opinion. What I also find frustrating about Fox is that for some reason, they haven't put episodes of Mr. Belvedere, Room 222, Peyton Place, Small Wonder and The Paper Chase on Hulu. You'd think they would right about now. I think all of those shows would be great fits for Hulu. Fox even had the first of the three Clifton Webb Belvedere movies on Hulu for a while, and recently licensed the last two to TCM last year. Finally, I just remembered something: Fox licensed Doogie Howser, M.D. to Anchor Bay, and as far as I know, there were no disputes between the two of them.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Finally, I just remembered something: Fox licensed Doogie Howser, M.D. to Anchor Bay, and as far as I know, there were no disputes between the two of them.

Doogie Howser was released several years ago (2005/2006), before the economy went to hell. Also note that these releases are now out of print, Anchor Bay's agreement with FOX (they also released Titus & Profit) expired last year.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Is there any chance of Shout releasing Eight is Enough and continuing the CHiPS and Love Boat DVDs? So many have been waiting for EIE for some time now. I don't understand what the delay is. There was not much (if any) music used in the series and this was one of the more popular shows of it's decade. Season 1 was short enough that it could be released together with Season 2. I noticed that Brady Bunch, Partridge Family and Gilligan's Island were lower in rank than Eight is Enough on TVshowsondvd's popularity scale.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Warner is not going to license any title to Shout or any other label. I think we need to stop asking about Shout to be the Whtie Knight for any title from that studio because if Warner wants to ever do something with it, it's going to be as a Warner Archive title.

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Cliff, thanks again for the updates. I hope Shout! will take a look at another Universal property, The Name Of The Game. It was a strong series with good writing and high production values, and had a great late 60's, early 70's vibe.

I also wouldn't mind seeing any number of Universal made-for-tv movies from the same era. Warner Archive has begun releasing some of the tv movies they own, so there appears to be an audience for the genre. Maybe something worth exploring...

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Warner is not going to license any title to Shout or any other label.

They already have- Max Headroom & The Norm Show were released by Shout! and both are WB properties.

I think Eight is Enough will be released by WB, there are unknown issues still to be worked out with this title or at least that was the word from WB execs during one of their recent online chats. CHiPs would be a good pick up although I think it will probably go the MOD route.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey another was Mill Creek which I emailed while marketing Peyton Place and I emailed the following including Timeless VCI. Email some of these people. I myself would love to see Paper Chase completed. http://www.mpihomevideo.com/Contact/ http://[email protected] and Time/Life Anchor Bay and of course Acorn Media. The reply from Time/Life was quite nice and said a package deal would be the way they would view Peyton Place. I guess they ment release all of it in one dvd release. People you might want to try these other companies Time/Life

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:

They already have- Max Headroom & The Norm Show were released by Shout! and both are WB properties.

I think Eight is Enough will be released by WB, there are unknown issues still to be worked out with this title or at least that was the word from WB execs during one of their recent online chats.  CHiPs would be a good pick up although I think it will probably go the MOD route.
Supposedly the film elements to EIGHT IS ENOUGH needed a bit of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks