Anyone familiar with US Route 6 in Utah?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bryan X, May 31, 2006.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I'm going to be travelling down I-15 through the Salt Lake area to Moab, UT. My question is should I take US 6 once I get past Provo to get to I-70 or should I continue down I-15 to US 50 to hook up with I-70?

Taking US 6 is about 70 miles shorter, but I don't want to get on a two lane road where I'm having to slow down going through lots of little towns. Is anyone familiar with the area? Is US 6 a divided highway? Or is it atleast open enough where I won't get slowed down too much?

2. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    I actually have driven on US 6 when I was driving from the East Coast to California. Like you, I looked on the map and saw 6 looks like a short cut, but wondered if it would be better to stay on I 70 to I 15 north to Provo. Well, when I got near the exit for for US 6, there was a sign that said the next services on 70 was 115 miles. I knew at least Price UT was closer on US 6, so I took it. I also notice most of the traffic was also getting off here. Staying on 70 looked like it would be a long boring ride.

Between I 70 and Price, it is mostly 2 lanes, with sections that have passing lanes. However, I had no problems keeping a steady and fast speed. price is big enough to have plenty of gas stations and such if you need to take a break. Between Price and Provo, you hit the mountains and there you might get stuck behind a truck going up or down a grade. This section is 3 lanes at least, and sometimes 4. So you never go more than a few miles with only one lane. I didn't have any problems getting stuck.

I would recommend taking US 6. The miles and and gas you save will more than make up getting stuck behind some truck for a mile or two.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Thanks Nick. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Sounds like 6 is the route to take.