What's new

Anyone familiar with TSC speakers? (1 Viewer)

Madmax18

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
I'm looking to maximize my sound for the money and have been fishing the forums for any buzz on inexpensive speakers that will deliver for a steal. From some thorough research, I've heard lots of superb reviews and feedback on Best Buy's house brand Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelf. I also found a raving review on the TSAT-1000 speaker package from The Speaker Company. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom they can share? I'm more than likely going with an SVS PB10-NSD. Torn between the Denon 2308, Yamaha 663 and Onkyo for my power source.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Insignia's are good if you can perform an upgrade. Otherwise, they are just bargain speakers.

I've never heard of The Speaker Company and I've been hanging around forums like this for years. They look like they take container loads of Chinese built speakers and slap their name on them. Not that foreign built speakers are bad. AV123 sources their speakers from China or somewhere in that general area but they get rave reviews.

At least you are choosing wisely with the sub. Why not get some of SVS' satellite speakers?

-Robert

Madmax18

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
Not sure I can afford to go the full SVS route. $1000 is my ceiling for an entire 5.1 setup (powered sub included).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The whole SVS 5.1 package, with the same sub you posted, is $999. Of course shipping will add a little extra, but these speakers will be worth the shipping difference. See here: SVSound - Complete Systems
And you can't ask for a company with better customer service..........
Good luck!

Madmax18

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
Fantastic. I've read good things about SVS, but never heard of them before I began poking around on this forum. Does anyone have anything to share that would persuade me not to go with a 5.1 package from SVS? Sounds like many of you absolutely swear by the subs, but I've heard nothing about their satellites and other speakers.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I haven't actually heard the speakers personally, but friends at S&V forums have reviewed them and two or three there own them, and they all love them. I have heard an SVS sub (one of the cylinder subs), and the thing was awesome. It's a beast. It hit lows I'd never heard before.

Also hearing people's stories about their customer service, makes me know they are a quality company. If I can ever afford one of their subs, I will get one.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MadMax,

I just recently found The Speaker Company. I was looking at their website and saw their TSAT1000 and TSAT2000. They looked exactly like the Sapphire Audio SAT1000 and SAT1500 speakers. On a review, I saw a picture of the back of a TSAT1000 and it had the stylized "S" imprinted on the speaker in addition to the tSc logo. I compared the TSAT1000 manual with my SAT1000 manual and, except for some minor formatting, they were identical. The dimensions were within several 100's of an inch. Frequency response specs were the same. The big difference was the Sapphire Audio speakers had a signature "sapphire blue" tweeter and the TSC speakers have the generic dark gray/black tweeter.

As you may have surmised, I own a set of the Sapphire Audio's SAT1000 speakers. I have been quite impressed with them. They definitely need a sub and have my set paired with an Infinity PS-10. They sound great and I love their appearance; the gloss piano black makes them look like a composite plastic which matches the finish on most of the flat screen HDTVs and the old Pioneer Elite RPTVs. Their finish is actually 5 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer!

The TSC-1, TSC-2 and TSC-3 speakers look like the old Sapphire Audio speakers, too. I have seen reviews of the Sapphire Audio SC-2 and SC-3 speakers that rated these speakers as quite good. I'm not sure where the other speakers and subwoofers are coming from. I suspect that they are from other companies that went out-of-business and The Speaker Company is selling them for substantially less then the original companys' MSRPs. With their free shipping, 30-day in-home trial period, free return shipping and 5-year warranties, how can you go wrong trying them out.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Speaker Company is an ID speaker marketing/sales channel owned by D&M Holdings... the owner of A/V brands like Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, Boston, and many others. Their ID presence is fairly new and they most likely aren't leveraging their parent company's name to insulate the parent company in case their ID experiment fails.

The TS line is indeed a re-branding of the Sapphire line marketed by Tweeter, HiFiBuys, and Sound Advice a few years back. The only difference is the color of the dome tweeter (black, not blue) and the logo. As Sapphire, these speakers reviewed well at 3x the price and I nearly bought the Sapphire equivalent of the TST2 when they were on clearance (still 2x the price). I'm unsure of the OEM lineage, if any, of the rest of their product line so I can only vouch for the TS line.

TSC has had a few growing pains so far, such as some cabinet and crossover quality issues (one with a review sample), but anecdotally at least, it seams they have been quick to respond and rectify these situations. If you're in question of their sound quality, check out the Audioholics review of the TST2. I'd say it and the TSBL are the value sweet spots of the line, and if they offer another sale like they did pre-holiday 2008, their value might be unbeatable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebox
Recent bookmarks