Anyone familiar with Sony VCRs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd K, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I have an SLV-765HF and I love it, it's about 4 years old. the picture quality is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking at newer Sony models on their website and oddly enough, they only advertise three. None of them have the shuttle/job feature I have with the 765HF.
    Now they must produce a current one with one of those jog/shuttle wheels, right? Of course, I guess I shouldn't assume anything.
    I did see their SLV-N81, which would match my silver Wega components. I've also seen mention of the SLV-N80, also silver and seemingly more expensive. What's the difference there I wonder?
    Anyways, I guess I'm basically asking if anyone knows where Sony hides their higher end VCRs, if they still make any.
    Todd K.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Todd,
    First, welcome to the Forum!
    I have always found Sony’s website a pain to navigate. I’ve never found anything there that I was looking for, even if I had a model number.
    The sad fact is, everyone has “cheapened” their VCRs in recent years. Most of them are so lightweight I wonder how long they will hold up. If you’re happy with your old one, and it works fine, why get a new one?
    How do you use your VCR, to rent movies or timeshift television programming? If you do a lot of recording, I highly recommend getting a Super-VHS machine, if you really are set on buying a new one. The picture quality blows away regular VHS—you haven’t seen “fantastic picture quality” from a VCR that is not S-VHS, trust me!
    Unfortunately, Sony never got serious about S-VHS. As for as I know they make only one S-VHS machine, and it has been relatively unchanged (including the outrageously high price) for close to 10 years. Meanwhile, JVC’s S-VHS VCRs have fallen to well under $200.
    I wouldn’t buy one that cheap, but you can get their top-of-the-line model on-line for $400 (it has the silver finish you like), and the second in line for $250 (which is probably about what you paid for your SLV-765, right?). Both have enhancing circuitry that reportedly makes improvements with even previously recorded regular VHS tapes. I’ve had six JVC S-VHS VCRs since 1995, and currently own four (including the first one I ever bought), and have been very happy with all of them.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Thanks Wayne for your welcome and prompt reply. I'm currently engaged in research for setting up a simple theater system, so I thought I'd hang out here for a bit.
    There really is nothing wrong with my current VCR, I was just looking around to see what was new on the market. I do a lot of dubbing, and was looking at ones that would be as good as the 765 model. Of course it can't compare to s-vhs, but I haven't seen too many standard vhs players that looked as good. It does an especially good job with tapes that have been dubbed a few times.
    I use my vcr for all purposes equally, I think. I was never anxious to get into S-VHS, since I'd like the tapes I copy to be playable on all vcrs. I realize I probably could record standard vhs, but why would I want a feature that I would hardly use? The s-video connections offered on S-vhs machines are very attractive, though. And I'd want one that was more suited for editing videos, like one with jog/shuttle controls and other goodies.
    Basically, the VCR is last on my list of home theater priorities because I'm happy with my current one. But I know it won't last forever and I'd like to have a model that's at least as competent for dubbing and picture quality.
    Thanks again,
    Todd