Anyone familiar with automotive electrical systems?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveLa, Sep 1, 2004.

1. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

I have a 1999 Chevrolet that recently exhibited a problem with the heating and a/c system. Basically, the fan has four speed settings and for some reason, it only turns on when set to the two highest speeds. If I try setting it to the two lowest levels, the fan doesn't turn on at all. Is there some sort of sensor or switch that controls the fan and is it something I would be able to replace or would I need to take it to the pros? Is it possible that it's a fuse that's bad? Any advice is appreciated.

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

On other cars I've owned they have something like a resistor pack between the switch positions and the fan motor that varies the voltage to the motor, this is probably similar to your problem, the middle settings on this particular car liked to blow, but I'm not familiar with chevys. Plenty around here are though.

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I had a 1985 Chevy Blazer; does that count? [​IMG] If it's not the switch it may be the fan itself. The heating & a/c fan on mine started running slower and slower.....eventually made this awful screech and died. Luckily it was easy to replace, being mounted on the firewall and looking like an encased fan; I can't even find the fan on my Montero Sport.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Philip is in the right neighborhood. It is most likely a blower resistor. The lowest settings having the most resistance to lower the speed. These go out first.
    Climate control heads are also a common problem on pre-mid-99 Chevy. I'm going with the resistor in this case though.

5. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I had a similiar problem on a dodge, it was a Thermistor Relay. Dont know if that helps or not but it was a very similiar problem.