Anyone ever used Vonage DigitalVoice - "The Broadband Phone Company"

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brett_H, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,

In a funny coincidence, yesterday I received our monthly phone bill. $130! There's only two of us, and we don't even make *that* many calls. I was a little ticked, to say the least. Later that evening, I was checking my Yahoo mail and did something I've never done before: I clicked one of their banner ads. It was for a company called Vonage, who claimed to offer unlimited local & domestic long distance phone service over your existing broadband connection for only $40/month. Hmmm, let's see.... I already pay $45/month for my cable modem and lately I've been paying around $100/month for my phone service. Sounds like I could cut my monthly phone bill in half or more. Problem is, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

So what's the deal with this technology? Anybody here ever used it? I'm about to do my usual googling of this product, but I'd like to hear from any of you that have tried this or similar services.

Thanks,
    -Brett.

PS - One sticking point for me might be that my father-in-law is a retired Ameritech employee. My wife already brought that up when I mentioned this to her last night... but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Wny not just get a cellphone from Sprint or something? Nationwide long distance included $40/month for something like 400 minutes m-f daytime and unlimited min the rest of the time.

I have not used Vonage. I did use a PC-to-phone internet service a few years ago, but it was unreliable. I'm sure services are better now.

/Mike

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

4. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Ryan,

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'm still not clear as to why you need separate long distance if you have a cellphone. I'd be interested to know why though. [​IMG]

/Mike

6. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Mike,

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

You could also take that $40/month and upgrade your cell phone plan so you would have long distance on it too. Of course it's your call, but I personally do not like the idea of being chained to my computer just to make a phone call (unless you have some sort of wireless microphone set up).

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Leila,

You aren't chained to your computer. Vonage includes a hub/switch that relays standard analog phone data over the Internet. In other words, you use the same phone you do now. You pick it up, you hear a dial tone, and you dial your number.

Popular Mechanics had a great article about the service in this (last?) month's issue. Assuming voice quality is decent, it looks to be very, very cool. You can pick a phone number in any area code you want... you can even roll your existing number into their service.

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I'm looking at getting Vonage myself...as I'm moving here next week and don't want to pay Qwest a $31.00 connection fee (I'm already a Qwest customer at my current address!)...

Anyways, thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to see if there were any new experiences with Vonage by any of the HTF members.

Thanks for any info...