What's new

Anyone ever use the DTS decoder in ther DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Jim-eh

Auditioning
I'm in the market for a new dvd player (my RP62 just died) and am thinking about the Panny S55S which has a built in DTS decoder. My current receiver is the Yamaha 595 which allows for an external decoder. Have any of ever tried DTS this way? What cables do you connect the dvd player and the receiver with? Or should I just wait until I upgrade me receiver?
Caio,
Jim-eh

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I use the DTS decoder in my Pioneer 45A, since my receiver (a Marantz SR-96) is Pro Logic only. It does have the required 6 Channel inputs, so I use my player for ALL decoding duties; DD, DTS, DVD-A, and SACD.

To do so with your player will require that it have 6 Channel analog out, and your receiver will need to have 6 Channel analog in.

You make the connection with three pairs of audio cables.

BGL

Andy_A

Second Unit
I, too, use the outboard decoder for dts and dolby digital decoding. I have an older Yamaha in a second system w/ multi channel inputs (6) as well as pre-outs which I run to a seperate amp. It works great. It should sound the same as dts and dd built in to the receiver. I basically use this receiver as a pass through and volume control only. Are you sure the panasonic s55s has a built in decoder? The way to tell is to look at the back and if it has six outputs L,R,C,SL,SR,SW it has them built in. Do you need progressive scan? There are a lot of players out there w/ decoders and many of the panasonics will also have dvd-audio. You might also take a look at the Pioneer that has just been released--the dv563a. It has everything (DVD-Audio, DTS, DD, SACD) for the low low price of $170. Take care

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I also use the DTS/DD decoders in my player (RP91). I don't notice any difference in quality from the receiver decoders, which I used for years before I got the Panasonic. Since I have the 6-channel output hooked up for DVD-A, it's just easier to use them for everything, and not switch on the receiver between analog and digital inputs.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
It may be easier but arn't dd and dts sort of dsp modes which add their own special processing. on my reciever when playing a film, i just hit input on the revievers remote and it finds the digital signal being output by the dvd player assming you have a coax or opt cable attached and designated to a certain input on the reciever.

If your a Panny type guy the f85 is a 5discr that also does dvd-a dvd-ram and Windows media as well as mp3. It has an audio only button which purifies the signal if your playing dvd-a's or cd's for that matter.

Anywho it's got lots of options as I'm sure the Pioneers have, I just think it's important to think ahead to what you might be using soon and choose a player that will last for a while feature wise.

Peter m.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I use the internal decoder of the Meridian 598DP into a Meridian processor.

THis isn't apples to apples, as the Meridian solution is still digital, passing decoded PCM which is upsampled in the processor.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks