Anyone ever use Center(s) for rear surround(s)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidDon, Feb 6, 2003.

1. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone ever tried using a center channel for the rear surround of an EX system (or two for two rears)?

For my application, an upright bookshelf won't really work, and laying a bookshelf on its side just seems wrong to me. I have Dipoles that work fine, but am thinking about changing that for the rears of my "7.1" system.

Any thoughts anyone?

2. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

I would imagine a centre would be a good fit as this channel is only one signal (even with two speakers).

I was considering this myself before another option presented itself.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

A center channel horizonal speaker is just fine for the rear speaker (I assume that was your question). I did tha for several months without regret. I now have two rear speakers, but that is just an availability issue.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I did this for a while for 6.1. Worked quite well. For 7.1, I would recommend bookshelf speakers though. Most center channels have very poor off-axis response due to lobing. The ubiquitous woofer-tweeter-woofer design. Get constructive (good) and destructive (very bad) interference from the 2 woofers as you move laterally off-axis.

5. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

Bookshelfs won't really work because of my particular situation. They tend to be too tall and tweeter placement would be right on the ceiling.

Thank you, and everyone else too, for your comments.

Dave