What's new

Anyone ever try these cables? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
In response to your question, which I sincerely believe is motivated by a desire to get the most out of your system, I have the following comments. My response will be rather to the point and please excuse any negativity as it is not in the least directed towards yourself.
To begin with, no I've not tried them. Nor have I tested every calculator to see if 2+2 really does equal 4. Their return policy is typical and expected. I also see no reason why their cables would not perform well.
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
"Every crowd has a silver lining."
P.T. Barnum
I see them as another player in an overly crowded cable marketplace looking to make some money on appearance. That's my take on them. If they jazz up their marketing lingo, its only a matter of time before some website reviews them and puts in its typical flowery praise for their sound, and how it made music he'd heard before come alive. It's also my take on the vast majority of the players, but hey, this is the land of opportunity.
Their speaker wire appears to be regular old OFC 12 gauge copper dressed up. They give the Nominal Capacitance - 35.0 pF/ft. Belden 9718 12 gauge has a capacitance of 21.6 pF/ft. Stuff from Sound King, Radio Shack, they'll all be similar. What does it mean? Not a damned thing. Now sound king you can get for something like $0.40 a foot, maybe less. AudioNow wants $70 for an 8 foot length. Sound King will cost you under $5. Add some gold plated spades and maybe you're around $10.
Now 12 gauge copper is an excellent cable for speakers and it remains to be seen (heard?) whether in controlled testing involving level, length, gauge matching of cables if anyone, i mean anyone can reliably distinguish amongst them.
Their interconnect...23.0 pf/ft. A rather typical value and perfectly adequate. You'll find similar values in most mainstream interconnects such as those from AR, Scosche, etc. You can go to www.partsexpress.com and do a search under the terms "RCA interonnect" and see what's available. Their availability, delivery, all that stuff is quite good. Generally speaking, the prices you'll find will be 1/2 to 1/3, maybe even less than AudioNow.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey Chu. Thanks for the response and recommendations. I recently went with a company named Liberty Cables. Fully assembled, they cost me $20.00 for a meter pair. I actually bought these cables for surround duty but just out of curiosity put them in between my CD player and power amp and they never left. I sold my Harmonic Tech Prosilways and am going to put the funds to something else like getting my speakers finished.
As far as the look of the Audio Now cables, they are very attractive I agree. However, I can't rule out that I won't try them out of curiosity.
Thanks for the input again.
Has anyone tried these cables?
Liberty Cables

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Liberty's a more reasonably priced brand. Good idea on those Harmonics!
I see you're from Brooklyn. You know, those pizza squares they sell over at Spumoni Gardens (L&B) over on Avenue X are perhaps the single best reason for popping into Brooklyn!

Martice

Screenwriter
I live in Carroll Gardens section of Brooklyn. It's right off of the Brooklyn Bridge and I sometimes walk to the city that's how close I am. It's a wonderful neighborhood.

For the heck of it you should drive through. The food and atmosphere is tops!

I'm in the city now. I work in Midtown on 5th avenue.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I used to live in the Heights years ago and play chess in some little bar on Montague. I always enjoyed Atlantic Avenue and the unique restaurants there. Still pop in every now and then just to pick up arabic pastries, breads, and other imports.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If you like the look then you can get the cable wrap and heat shrink tubing from various sources...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks