Anyone ever tried to make a Klipsch Heritage clone

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickBlacker, Nov 5, 2002.

1. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

I am currently a Klipsch R7 owner and am gaining interest in their heritage line of speakers. I hear wonderful things about them, however, I would have a hard time covering the cost of these speakers. Thus, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to, or has blueprints to work from to create a set. I am most interested in either the KHorn or the Belle. However any of the heritage I would be interested in.

Thanks All
    Rick

2. Chris.Brunhaver

Speakerlab.com used to make a K-horn knock off using the smae drivers as klipsch and later, their own drivers. They still sell the plans for $25. Be warned, there are a lot of angled cuts to be made to make a folded bass horn. Anyway, I'm sure you could find some drivers to use.

-Chris

3. alan fallert

alan fallert Agent

Making a klipschorn, would takeing on one heck of a project,would be very hard to build unless you are one hell of a craftman. The lascalas or bell would be easier. The problem is the high price of the drivers and crossovers. In my opinion by the time you build them, buy all the divers and crossovers you will have as much or more in them as buying a good used set of lascalas or bells.You can find a good set of used lascalas for under a grand, if you get lucky maybe 800 bucks. Klipschhorns under 2000 bucks depending on condition, maybe if you get lucky 1500 bucks. Bells for some reason go as high as klipschorns. Fist if you decide on klipschorns you must have 2 corners to but them in and a perty big room or they or useless, they need the corner for thier bass response. On the other hand a set of lascalas or belles do not need to be put in corners. I own a set of k-horns they are an awasome set of speakers, I also did own a set of lascalas and the are very nice to, but just dont look near as good.One the klipsch web sight go to the forum, under updating older speakers, there is a guy there that has a thread on building a set of oak lascalas, check this guys work out, it is amazing. Hope this helps you out, if you decide to build a set of klipsch speakers good luck and please show us some picturs.

4. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for the input. Closest to being considered a craftsman would be the fact that I used to frame houses [​IMG] However, I do have a radial arm saw to help with those angles and an ok shop to work in.
    I have not commited to the idea yet, I am just looking into it. [​IMG]