What's new

Anyone ever take Paxil or other drug? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Never thought I'd need this type of drug but about 2 weeks ago my voice started to tremble in the middle of a conversation, either on the phone or face to face. It makes me feel horrible. Even when I talk to my brother it can sometimes be a struggle to speak more than 2 sentences. Even worse, I have to give a presentation to my class next Thursday (22 yr old). Ugh!

I keep telling myself my nervousness can be overcome but I just feel like my chest is closing in and my heart rate rise when I know I have to say or even read something that's long in front of another person.

I was reading paxil.com and I think I might have Social Anxiety Disorder. Could this hopefully be something that will pass soon or should I seek medical attention? Would something like Paxil help? I'd love to speak in front a group of people with no fear.

Any help would or advice would be appreciated.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

There's no way a doctor would prescribe an antidepressant in response to two weeks worth of symptoms. My guess would be that you felt some anxiety (which is quite normal) you saw the Paxil commercial and your mind made the connection. Rather than looking to medication to change your emotions I'd recommend trying to find the true source of the problem. What happened two weeks ago that made you nervous?

I'm on an antidepressant (Celexa) but that was in response to feelings that I had been having for many years. Even so I didn't start the medication till after maybe six months of therapy.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'd check out Toastmasters before going down the psychiatric medication path. :)
http://www.toastmasters.org/
Public speaking is one of the most common fears that people have.
As for issues with face-to-face conversation, I can't explain that...but as Carl suggested, maybe you can. What's going on? Are there new stresses in your life? Are you getting enough sleep?
If your symptoms persist, it might be a good idea to see your family doctor and have a physical.
I know people who have taken Paxil with varying degrees of success-- but it was for long-term problems like major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, etc.
- Steve

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Scott, if these things keep bothering you it may help to go see a doctor. It'll take several weeks for Paxil to really kick in and it won't magically fix the problem but it'll help you get over it gradually.

Jeff

RogerB

Second Unit
Your doc might prescribe Xanax for infrequent anxiety.

From psyweb.com: Used primarily for short-term relief of mild to moderate anxiety and nervous tension. Alprazolam is also effective in the treatment of activity depression or panic attacks. It can be useful in treating irritable bowel syndrome and anxiety due to a neurosis as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks