Anyone ever replaced their home windows?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alf S, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    My wife and I want to replace some patio/french doors and some other NON- energy efficient windows in our house (built in '83 sith original windows).

We have appointments with several local/national window makers, but of course each one has their own style window and they claim "they" are the best.

We shopped Lowes etc, but nobody there is too helpful and it costs to have them come out to review.

We've met with Window World, Thermal Windows, and a local home improvement builder (great reputation).

Just curious if anyone has any experiences with replacing windows doors? Who did you use (good bad experience)? Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks for any input you can offer

2. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

We replaced every window in the house and a sliding glass door when we bought the place. We bought Pella which at the time at least were a bit more expensive than Anderson windows. We shopped Lowes, the Window Factory and a few other local makers and found most everything other than Pella and Anderson to be pretty shoddy.

Shopping Pella was easy though...you can call them direct, and an authorized/certified contractor from your area will come to your house, show you what's available and give you an estimate free of charge. They also have showroom locations where you can deal with Pella directly.

The Pella certified contractor who installed them for us turned out to be very good and we ended up using them for the siding we put up last spring and the bathroom which we remodled this past May. Don't know how true it is, but he told us Pella was somewhat selective about partnering with contractors.

Hope this helps some!

3. andrew markworthy

Often this sort of thing comes down as much to the fitting as the product itself. With anything like this, I've always followed the advice of asking neighbours to see if they'd recommend anyone. Bear in mind that although Company X may have done a great job for a person in another part of the country, the local guy may be hopeless.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but do you guys in the US of A get bombarded with adverts, telesales, etc, asking you to buy new windows? Over this side of the Herring Pond, we were getting an average of a call every other night pestering us to buy new windows until we got telesales blocked. My favourite attempt to sell us stuff was from a salesman who called at the door - the day after we moved into a brand new house already fitted with double glazing.

4. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Almost every day in the mail.

I would also check Sears.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

We replaced 9 windows several years ago. Stopped the leaks and reversed the wood rot problems with aluminum capping on all windows. We used Thermalguard, which I am still VERY happy with, but they priced themselves right out of the market. Now I need to do 3-5 more windows.

Seems the bottom line is $700-$800 per window. This includes quality replacement windows and all labor, etc. Sure, you'll see many ads for replacement windows at $150., but you'll quickly find that stuff is low quality, cheap vinyl, single pane and lousy insulation properties. Depends where you live, but if you deal with cold winters, wind and rain ... you'll probably end up choosing Anderson, Pella or similar .... like I said ... $800/window.

Scott

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Talk to friends and family members in your area and see who's good. As someone mentioned above there's no point buying brand "X" if the local installers aren't up to par. I talked with a few people that work with comercial guys to find out their thoughts and was put in touch with a guy that was highly recomended. I call him but he was too busy and told me to call another local company that had done his home windows. I figured anyone thats good enough for a pro was good enough for me. I also found out they'd done work for two of my co-workers one of which is anal to the 10th degree and she was happy [​IMG] Long story short they were affordable and high quality with good installers so it was a painless process. For what its worth the advice I was given was to go with dual pane, low E, Argon filled with the super spacer. Also it pays to shop around a bit as some of the big name window companies charge a lot for windows that are either on par or below what some of the local manufacturers charge.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

We have Pella. They are expensive but worth it.

One thing I found when looking for WIndows is that the people whom do the quotes are really unreliable. I gave up after the 3rd contractor didn't show up or call.

The Pella guy was the only one that showed up on time. I believe Lowes sells these but I could be mistaken. There is a Pella store on 41st just East of Sheridan, Alf.

Thermal is good too from what I hear. Other than heresay I don't know too much about them. My only experience has been with Pella and they are awesome windows.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

We just replaced all 14 of our windows, including an 8 foot sliding glass door, a few months ago. We also had a bay window installed in the front living room window. We went with a local company, Wallside Windows, which manufactures their own windows and has a very good reputation. All windows are double-hung, multi-pane with argon gas insulation and UV protection glass. They are vinyl -- our old windows were wood, and we wanted a low maintenance replacement. They also come with a 35 year warranty (the company has been in business since around 1950, so I doubt they are going anywhere).

The company did a wonderful job installing the windows, and the new bay looks great. We had some work to do afterwards, painting and staining the new indoor trim around each window.

Oddly, Wallside doesn't handle storm doors, so we bought a new Anderson front storm door from Home Depot and our niece's boyfriend installed it.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I replaced all the windows in my house and a sliding glass door. I had a contractor do the door due to stucco work and needed doing but I did all the windows myself. I went with Milgard brand windows, all double pain. Some were nail in and others were retrofits.

Save your money and do the windows yourself, it is extremely easy.

10. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

We replaced all of the windows in our previous home, going from double pane black aluminum frames to double pane white vinyl frames.

One thing we noticed right away was that the borders on the new white vinyl frames were wider so the view out the window was less. They looked great, especially from the outside but if I ever replace windows again I will stay away from wide bordered windows.

Many of the windows that are displayed by dealers at state fairs have the wide bordered frames that I would avoid.

11. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie

Thanks Shane,

We met with Burnett and they seem like a good established company with very good references and awards. I just need to do a few pricing adjustments with them and may pull the trigger soon.

Thanks all!

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

We recently replaced all the windows in our house with new, energy effcient models. The best place I have found to search for ANY home improvement or business is to start at the Better Business Bureau online: http://lookup.bbb.org

You can find your local directory there and look at member's satisfaction rating. We found both our painters and window installers there, interviewed 3 each, and settled on the (perceived) best. We are very happy with the results.

And $700-900 a window would seem to be the rate for a quality window installed. Anything less and you have to become a bit suspicious about what they are selling you. Our installer actually has a 100% guarantee for the life of the house. If I threw a bowling ball through a window in 10 yrs, they would replace it free of charge. That's nice.

13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    As is true with many home improvements, you may do better selecting a contractor FIRST, and then select the brand of windows later. I got a contractor through word of mouth from numerous friends that had good and bad stories to tell. This contractor, who could use any window manufacturer, sold me on Simonton brand vinyl windows. www.simonton.com He did a bang up job: 7 windows and a patio door installed for $4,400. I'm very pleased.