Anyone ever order anything from those cheap electronic ads in NYC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Wong, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I'm looking at purchasing a camcorder before a take a trip overseas in October. I'm specifically looking at the JVC GR-DVL820U MiniDV video camera. I checked it out at Best Buy last week and I'm sure this is the camera I'd want to go with... they've got it for $899.

I'm also a subscriber to Popular Photography magazine. And anyone that's ever picked up a periodical of this nature knows about all the advertisements that take up more than half the magazine. They're normally businesses based out of New York City and usually selling items for several hundred dollars less than you'd find locally. This automatically brings up a red siren...

However, I contacted a business called Abe's of Maine yesterday based out of Brooklyn, NY. And I asked "Nick" about the same camcorder I found at Best Buy. Yes, he has the same one in stock. Yes, he reiterated the item was brand new. Yes, it comes with a USA warranty and not an International warranty. The same camcorder can be had by "Nick" for $649. Shipping is $29 to Minnesota or 2nd Day Air can be had for $40.

Does have any experience at all ordering from one of these retailers?

Scott.

2. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I really don't trust these stores. I live in the city, and I've been inside a fair number, and they are for the most part very shady. Things that are "new" often show signs of having been re-shrink-wrapped. Most do not actually take returns (even if they say they do), and on the whole they feel very unsavory. For a substantial purchase, I'd stick with a bigger store, or a local mom-and-pop.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

NO!! STAY AWAY!!

Do a search on Google for any of these places. Horror stories abound! I just bought a miniDV camera and did a lot of research beforehand. The standard scam is to sell you the camera for less and push the incredibly overpriced accessories. Often, they'll call you back a day after taking your order and try to sell you the accessories. Refuse, and the camera is suddenly out of stock. Or it's "on it's way" for months. Or the card is charged and nothing ever shows up.

You want a deal? Buy your camera from Sears and price-match. I matched a $1200 Sony down to $750. Sears is the only place I know of that will price match a web site. They didn't have the camera I wanted at the local Sears store, but they were able to order it for me.

Of course, Sears doesn't stock an awful lot of cameras, so you may have to compromise on the model to get the deal. But, whatever you do, stay away from all of those NYC retailers unless you like playing with fire. You know the saying: If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

5. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I actually went into a couple of these places on times square when I was in NY years ago, I had a horrible case of sticker shock looking at the prices on the items in the stores, prices were at least 50% higher as marked in the store over what I could buy it here in Cincinnati at a local store.
    go to www.techbargains.com
    that is how I found the best price on the minota Dimage 5 digital camera I bought at christmas. they also have links to the sites that rate all the "online" retailers and who to avoid

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I bought a radio scanner from one of these places and had nothing but trouble with it. Stay away.

7. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Wow... thanks guys! [​IMG]
    I guess I'll bite the bullet and just get it locally. Paying a bit more is worth the hassle in the long run!
    thanks again for all the replies... it's much appreciated!
    Scott.

8. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I've heard many horror stories about these places too so stay away like they had the plague. You know a place that the more "sophisticated" electronic shoppers tend to overlook is the cable shopping channel QVS. www.iqvc.com They usually have a surprisingly good selection, all first quality name brands with full warranties, and at pretty good prices and best of all they have a 30-day "no questions asked" return policy. I've gotten a lot of stuff from them and have always been happy.

9. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    B&H has very good prices and the guys that work there are very knowledgeable even if sometimes not too friendly, I have several friends in the City that are professional photographers and all of them shop at B&H. I bought my camera and several lenses from them, B&H's prices are in line or better with those in most of the other ads, and in stores both in the Photo District and Time Square. If you try to give them a call for a price quote just remember that B&H is closed on Sat. and all Jewish Holidays.
    kd

10. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I work right near B&H, and I can tell you shopping there can be a mixed experience.

Their staff is for the most part very knowledgeable, especially if you are looking for video/photo related items.

Their prices are often very competitive.

The process by which you get your stuff and pay is always a big pain in the butt. You get a salesman to get your stuff, go wait in line, pay, get receipt, wait in another line, get your stuff. Never go there if you just want a roll of film or video tapes, it will take you forever!

11. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Try typing the model number into www.dealtime.com and you may be able to match that price with a somewhat more reputable store.

12. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit