Anyone ever need to get an amp repaired?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin C Brown, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Just curious. I'm looking a used amps, and I can pay a little more and get a warranty. But in the 15 years and 15 or so amps Ive had in and out of my system, I've never had one fail, so I'm inclined to go cheaper (without a warranty).

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Kevin,

I have bought a few used amps and only had to send one back due to damage in shipment from a private sale. Sent it back to the manufacturer (IRD) and they graciously repaired the damage, checked all the spec on the unit, and sent it back to me at no charge. They even paid freight back to me. That service is exemplary, for sure.

It depends on the manufacturer and how they approach their products and users once in the field. No sure bet as far as this goes, so choose accordingly.

I recently bought 2 Classe CA-150 stereo amps so I may find their approach differently. I hope it is as agreeable as IRD's was if I ever need service from Classe. I have read they are good about their products if service is needed. Just seems to me a reputable company is here for the long haul.

Good Luck,

BOK

3. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

I've had two go south - that's over many years. I think that both were due to power problems (we lived in "lightening lane" for several years until the power company got their act together). We had problems even w/ doubled surge suppressors (toasted more than our share in one summer). One receiver's amp section was pretty much hosed, the other amp (Hafler) happened later and was easily fixed and it's still crankin'. Of course, we're not going to see much in the way of a factory response on that one...

If your power source is reasonably stable I can't see pre-paying for a potential repair. Just my opinion...

4. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I bought an Earthquake Cinenova 3 channel amp new and one of the channels was bad. The amp is designed in way that removing of the channels is very easy so I sent it back to EQ and it was repaired quickly. It was much easier than sending back the whole thing. Their 10 year warranty is transferrable under certain conditions.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. I had actually never thought about shipping damage...

6. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Kevin,

What is the price difference & related time differences? Which amps?

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Turns out I did one of those last minute ebay bids, and I got one with a warranty for about the same price as just used.