Anyone ever heard the Mark Levinson No. 33 monos?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve*MH, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Steve*MH

Steve*MH Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering, since they are not on display anywhere in my area, if anyone has ever seen, heard these amps? They have to be the most imposing amps ever made with the height of 31", 350lbs, and the "reference" build quality of Mark Levinson. But how do they sound? Not many reviews of them in major publications. Just curious if they are indeed one of the best amplifiers regardless of cost out there--just in case I come into a windfall and can afford such luxuries.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

My gosh, how much weight would your rack have to hold if you had a 7.1 channel system? I guess you'd no longer need a central heating system in your house.

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I haven't heard the No. 33s, but I have heard the No. 33Hs, which are basically the same exact amp at half the rated power. I'll just say that the No. 33Hs are the best amps I've ever heard, and leave it at that. To keep things in perspective, I've heard monoblocks from Krell, Classe', Pass Labs, Jeff Rowland, McIntosh, Audio Research, VTL, Jadis, and BAT; I think the only major manufacturer missing from my list is Boulder. All are stunning monoblocks in their own right, but the Levinsons gave the impression of complete neutrality.

Also, for what it's worth, John Atkinson of Stereophile purchased the No. 33Hs for his reference amplifiers.

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

I have heard the 33s numerous times. They are truly outstanding.

Larry

5. Salvatore Restivo

6. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I actually just got the specs from madrigal;

no33;
    300 watts into 8, doubles when resistance is halfed all the way to an astonishing 2400 watts into a 1ohm load, declaring it "the most powerful high end amplifier in the world"

weight; 435lbs each
    power consumption 840 watts at idle!!!

w 14' x h 31 x d 31

no33h;
    150 watts doubles as resistance is halfed, all the way to 1200 into 1ohm

weight; 220lbs each

w 11 x h 18.5 x d 22.875

I have heard the 33h and they are nothing short of stunning. You cannot even describe it. I think that the 33s can not run off of normal house current. That was the main reason for the "H"

oh yeah price;
    33s are $18,500 each
    33h is $10,500 each

-rob

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Both the 33 and the 33H must be run off a 20 amp dedicated line, and a 30 amp is recommended.

8. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I heard them a few years ago, through a Levinson Reference system and Aerial 10Ts. It was a very dynamic presentation, but for me, the law of diminishing returns kicked in well before that. Oh, and I wasn't going there to buy the amps; I begged my way into the reference room while waiting for the HT room to free up.
    -Erik

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

10. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have much experience with the Classe Omega or Theta Citadels? They are both a very nice looking amp and would look sooooooooo nice in my setup! [​IMG]