anyone ever heard of "the badlees"??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brianacook, Jul 3, 2001.

1. brianacook

brianacook Stunt Coordinator

this is a local group from east-central pennsylvania. they have released a few records on a major label but never really went anywhere.
    i was just wondering if anyone else out there on the htf has heard them. if not, give them a listen. i'm sure some of their dongs are available on the various online swap sites. also, you can visit their web site atwww.badlees.com
    yes, this is a shameless plug for a local band, but what the heck. either you like them or you don't. give them a shot.
    brian

2. Chuck Parker

Chuck Parker Agent

Wow! These guys have been favorites of mine for probably ten years now - Spent many a college weekend roadtripping to shows. Excellent stuff, highly recommended. Check out the web site - they've got a bunch of sample clips and unreleased tunes for download.
    They got a couple of raw deals out of the major labels, but if anyone's interested, you ought to be able to find "River Songs" and "Up There Down Here" in most record stores in the U.S. Unfortunately, they fit between formats (think equal parts Steve Earle and The Replacements) and never got really significant airplay outside the Northeast.
    The band's kind of on hiatus for the moment, though still playing a few shows here and there. Various combinations of band personnel have put records out this year, which if you can find them, are also definitely worth a listen - check outwww.petepalladino.com ,www.echotown.com , andwww.cellarbirds.com for more info and clips.
    Continuing the plugging tradition,
    Chuck

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I've heard of them. I know they received some national radio airplay around the time that Hootie & the Blowfish were hot. I was working in research at a rock station at the time, and I remember we did test one or two of their songs.
    ------------------
    Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
    Most recent reviews: Rififi: The Criterion Collection, Panic, The X-Files: The Complete Second Season, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Big Deal on Madonna Street: The Criterion Collection
    Most recent column: One Hundred and Counting

4. brianacook

brianacook Stunt Coordinator

hey chuck,
    aren't their live shows the best?!? i've seen them quite a few times and it's always a guaranteed good time.
    i have heard a few of pete's solo stuff and a cellarbirds song on the local radio station here. i will be getting copies of both discs next week from a friend of mine who is much closer to the band than i am.
    it's true, they just never seemed to catch on. i think that by the time they signed with a major label (who did nothing for them, you're right), it was a few years too late already (post-hootie, etc). it's a shame too, but as long as they keep making music in one form or another (or many), i'll be happy.
    the best thing about them is they are the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.
    brian

5. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

You probably won't believe this but the drummer for the Badlees has seen my HT. He lives a few houses down from me. Small world.

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have one of their songs on a various Cd called CMJ new music monthly volume 27 (Nov. 1995). 21 different tracks on it including bands like beautiful south, Rugburns, meat puppets and sonic Youth. But perhaps my favorite tune on the disc is "Fear of Falling" by the Badlees. Good Stuff.

7. Chuck Parker

Chuck Parker Agent

Yeah, Brian, the live shows are definitely some of the best I've seen - Since I've moved down here to VA, I don't get to see them nearly as often - last time was the New Years' show at the Whitaker in Harrisburg. I can't even begin to count how many shows I've seen since 1991 (when I was living in the Sunbury/Selinsgrove area, and subsequently Harrisburg and Lancaster). And you're right, they're the best bunch of guys you could ever want to meet.
    They did kind of get a raw deal from the record companies, but then, so did most of the groups that got caught up in the Polygram/Seagrams merger - "River Songs" did get a good push from the label before then, hooking them up with some good tour gigs, and getting a video made (for "Angeline is Coming Home" -too bad it wasn't very good - did get a bunch of press because Anthony Edwards directed it, though). The next label, ARK21 just didn't know what to do with them, and if the did, wouldn't have the funds to do anything anyway.
    In any case, I'm glad to hear that there are other people out there who dig the music they make!
    -chuck