What's new

anyone ever heard about Advent? (1 Viewer)

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
ywah well uhh i saw some advent speakers they look decent and im not sure about sound thiking about geting them as replacements for my grandmothers stereo ... i just want to knwo if any of you know anything about advent. thanks for all ur help

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Advent was (is?) a very well respected brand and, if my memory serves me right, the second or third brand established by Henry Kloss of KLH fame.

If they are in good shape, sound good to you and the price is right: Go for it!

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
advent 2way towers for 74.99 each im thinking about grabing them if they sound better then my KLH towers i'll swap with my grandmotehr

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Advent use to be a respected name, as was KLH. I believe both sold their names to low end companies now. Advent only makes cheap, wireless speakers now, and KLH is the lowest end speaker I'm familiar with(besides Bose:D ).

I'm assuming your talking about older and used Advent speakers. If that's the case, as long as they're in good condition, sound good to you, and are a bargain price, GO FOR IT.

While Advent made some good speakers, I liked other makers better. They sounded good and all, I just liked other speakers. When it came down to Cambridge Soundworks, I just hated their speakers with a passion. I don't know if Henry Kloss also designed Cambridge speakers, I hope not.

Since speakers have came along way in the years since Advent made good speakers, better quality could be obtained IMO. If your paying price takes their age, use, sonic characteristics, and lack of warranty into consideration, then get them if you like them. I'm just not big on 'real old' speakers since speakers sound so much better today for much less money.

Good luck.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
hmm what speakers would you recomend for a Pioneer 810s? i was going to build my own but i havent the time anymore ... i havent had any troubble with my KLH's and for $120 a pair and their sound they beat anything they have at best buy IMO .. they dont have muchf or lows but the highs are just so wonderful :) instant love.... sorry to go off subject about the speakers but its just something ive been pondering if i dont get those advents my grandmotehr wil get my KLH's if i can find some really ncie speakers to go with my reciver

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
For $120/pair, choices are very limited. Depending on what you want, Polk has the R30 for ~$150/pair, Infinity has their Entra Point5s for ~$160/pair, JBL has their N24II for ~$160/pair and then there are some Boston Acoustic speakers for roughly ~$200/pair. These are 'budget' speakers but they sound good to me. All would require a dedicated subwoofer though. A decent sub can be had for ~$150 today. So a nice stereo package would be about $300. I don't know of any speakers I'd consider 'good' for much less. Just my opinion as many don't share it.

Sony's cheap speakers are a compromise in that they have decent bass output but frequency range is somewhat ragged and fatiguing. I know, I own the bookshelves. O.K. for surround sound but definitely not good as stereo main speakers. Again, my opinion.

Have a good one.

Ron_L

Second Unit
The Advent speaker company has gone to hell.

When I first started out in this hobby, my neighbour was throwing out these ghetto looking Advent speakers, they suffered from foam rot, but he re-made the surrounds. I took them home and hooked them up.

They Pounded.

Walking through the stores, I see the name Advent and almost laugh now but the driver and the build quality of them are 100% garbage.

ericaUsand

Auditioning
I had a pair of Advent Legacy III's which were great for 15 years. Unfortunately the dorm living a candle loving girlfriend caught up with them. They had great build quality with solid wood. They retailed for 400 a pair in 1990. The bass was very tight on those speaker. I don't think they were ported.

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
In the 70s and through the 80s Advent made some really good speakers. Advent was a king of the mid-sized, mid-priced, acoustic suspension (sealed) speakers. Beautiful wood cabinets, great tweeters and distinctive light colored grills. It really is a shame that some of these great old names in hi-fi founded by Henry Kloss (Advent, KLH, Acoustic Research, etc) are now on such cr@ppy generic junk.

Showing my age again... ;)

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
As has been mentioned in another posts, the surround foam material around the drivers deteriorates over time and they quickly fail.

Many of them were rebuilt. Check the surrounds.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I got some 'vents, they were re-foamed before my Uncle gave them to me. I really like them a lot, still sound better than many speakers I have heard today and mine are in great shape. I will prob eventually get some Ascends though, but I will always hang on to these classics, Here is a pic...

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7452843

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks