What's new

Anyone ever hear of Magnepans? (1 Viewer)

ling_w

Second Unit
Tom,

Magnepan's MG20.1's are push pull planars for the midrange and bass, plus no ribbon short of plasma could match the speed of the maggie direct drive true ribbon tweeters.

As HP of TAS said of the 20.1:

Yeah, I’m being critical. But only because, once all is said and done, I believe this to be the world’s best buy in speaker systems. They cost $12,000 the pair and they do not sound signifi-cantly inferior to the Alóns discussed above; indeed in terms of tonal neu-trality and an absence of definable charactei; they exceed the Alón and just about everything else currently on the market.

Martin Logan's bass always sounds disconnected from the panel, plus it frequently sounds overpowering.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Ling---If Maggies are push-pull that's evidently something fairly new, at least to me. I looked at their website and they only illustrated single-ended planar magnetics and ribbons. I've heard the Maggie ribbons, they sound nice. I never thought the MLs were the best ESs, I'm much keener on Quads and the old Acoustats. I know some guys with SoundLabs but haven't made it over to hear them. As for old HP, well let's just say I parted ways with him over what sounds good almost 30 years ago. He is a most perceptive movie reviewer though. Best planar-magnetics I've heard are a buddy's B&G monopoles, they sound almost as good as his JBL Pro 3115 horns. :) And Apogee Stages were real good. Now I think Maggies certainly sound better than any cone-dome things I've heard. I liked mine but like I said, they were poorly made. A speaker ought'a last longer than 10 years, cmon.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Btw, aren't magnaplaners a little weak when it comes to bass?
That's why I built the IB sub:) I'm planning on hosting a HT BBQ in a month or so, I'll keep you posted on the details if you're interested.

Brian Shannon

Stunt Coordinator
Btw, aren't magnaplaners a little weak when it comes to bass?
Not if they are driven properly they are not. However, if you are expecting chest pounding ultra low bass then no they wont do that. I find the bass response to be very smooth.

I intend to place mine into an upcoming theater build I will do.

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
I love hometheater! But For 2-channel MUSIC LISTENING Mags are the way to go. I listened to some good songs at Joe Casey's setup and it beat my Deftech BP2004 setup hands down! As far as good electric guitar bass and kick-drum, I thought it nailed it perfect. Listen to it first with a good set-up and you will be impressed.

Rob

Larry B

Screenwriter
Andrew:

I am in the market for new speakers and am considering Maggies (among others). One major factor is that I do not have a large room. My understanding is that Maggies require more space than traditional box speakers, both behind and on the sides. (It is the sides that pose the biggest problem for me.) What is your take on this?

Thanks in advance - - -

Larry

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
LarryB the side placement is an issue for myself as well given my new HT room is only 12 feet wide. Right now I have mounted them horizontally and angled them out a little with some sound insulation behind them. I've listened to a little music though them and they sound quite congested to what maggies should sound like but I'm hopefull they'll still work like this for sides. If I had the room I would much prefer to mound them like my rears which are hung vertically using a piano hing on the wall but I simply don't have the room width to allow that.

ling_w

Second Unit
Larry,

Magnepans does not need as much side room due to its dipole nature in which very little sound comes out of the side. So if the speakers are angled in, 1st reflection is not as big a concern. So a distance of 2ft might be sufficient.

The MGMC1 are meant to be placed along the side wall, either hinged on the wall or on its own stand.

Behind speaker space should be at least 3ft, with 4ft more optimal.

Usually, the bigger maggies would require a bigger room. If your room is that small, it might be a mismatch to put the LAMMs with MMG speakers.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Ling:

Thanks. My room is about 12 feet wide, and about 20 foot long. If I went with the big Maggies, one of them would be about 2 feet (at most) from the side wall (the other side opens into a dining room).

Larry

Larry B

Screenwriter
Andrew:
Thanks for the info but I didn't explain myself clearly: I was referring to the distance of the mains from the side walls. How are yours set-up?
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks