Anyone ever hear of Full Sail?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott D S, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    Hi all. I'm at FSU right now in a futile attempt at gaining admittance into the film school. Well, the odds are against me and the situation is grim. There is a technical school in Winter Park (near Orlando) called Full Sail. I have been to their website (Full Sail) and the folks and I plan on attending an open house, talking with advisors, the usual. The only downside is the money and that graduates only receive an AA (versus a BA). But they seem to have exactly what I want, I have heard great things about it from people, more alumni from Full Sail seem to be working in the industry versus alumni from here, and they have a lot of cool toys to play with [​IMG] Anyone ever hear of this place?

2. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    My brother went there in 94. He owns his own recording studio now in Indianapolis.
    http://www.azmythrecording.com/
    You might try emailing him if you have any questions.
    Jeff

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have several friends who went there- and I would guess few of them would recommend it. They seems to be shifting focus to 3d animation and garphic design/web multimedia type stuff, where they used to be a primarily audio recording school.

I know they have world class gear in their recording program (rumor has it that Prince's engineer used facilities at full sail when Paisley Park was booked)-- but I know little about their film program. I assume it is more a technical program rather than a "film" program.

If you're interested on the scoop from a recent graduate (granted from the audio program- but he's pretty knowledgable on the school itself) email my friend Justin ([email protected]) and tell him Vince sent ya-- he'd probably be happy to dish the school.

-Vince

4. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I actually used to teach a Live Sound Reinforcement class there during the summer for John Abrams. It is a top notch facility with all the latest greatest toys...a few summers ago, Micheal Jackson was laying down tracks in studio 1 while I was there.

They have an extensive, if not exhuasting, class line up. THe different areas are LiveSR, Recording, Lighting, and they even teach the basics of running the office end of the deal. They even go as far as some basic computer training (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)

It is really a shame that they do not award a BS...I find more of the graduates working in their field, than any other college with a music program. I actuall hired one of my students a few years back...turned out to be a great employee and an even better friend. He has sinced moved on to MD/Clair in Nashville and doing rather well I might add.

If you can cut the finances, it is a great school, and it delivers all that it promises. But also keep in mind, you get out of it...what you put into it!!! I wish this place was around when I was in college!!!

My .02

TK-

5. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Scott, you might remember me as the guy whose wife graduated from FSU's film school. We have a friend who chose Full Sail over a B.F.A. program because he was intent on becoming a sound designer and was not terribly interested in the other areas of filmmaking. It was the perfect choice for him. He did well there, finished at the top of his class, and earned a fairly prestigious internship with a post facility in Hollywood. When he finished, the company hired him and he has worked steadily and successfully since (which is considerably better than I can say for anyone from my wife's class at FSU).
    Here's his page at the IMDb.

6. Scott D S

Scott Saslow
    Yes, I remember you. [​IMG] Seems like a cool place. Like I said (assuming we like what we see at the open house), the only thing stopping me would be $$$. But after I get out of here, I have a job waiting for me back home and if I have to stay at home for a year or two, fine. It'll be infinitely better than staying in this dorm, IMHO.

7. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

What dorm are you in? I was at FSU a few weeks ago and was glad to see that my old home -- Cawthon -- was getting the upgrade treatment. Full Sail will be more expensive, but only for two years, right? As a transfer into FSU's film school you'll end up spending five years there, so the total cost will surely balance out.

One piece of advice: before choosing Full Sail, make sure that you're absolutely positive that a film/sound career is your dream. The obvious advangate of a B.F.A. is that you will also receive well-rounded training in the humanities and the sciences. Along with the valuable skills you will gain (and the economic advantages of holding a Bachelor's Degree), you will also be exposed to a world of other potential careers, some of which might leave you even more jazzed than film. That was certainly the experience of my wife and many of her colleagues.

8. Scott D S

Scott Saslow
    Darren, I am in Kellum Hall. It's actually not the rat- and bug-infested shithole I had heard it was, but my neighbors are complete idiots, the kind of people we HTF members lambast on the forum for lack of intelligence, maturity, good taste, good manners, tact, etc. I hate them and I wish them a slow and painful death. They are mean and demeaning and homophobic (and I'm not even a homosexual although they'd love to prove otherwise - there is definitely a Fruedian subtext going on with these fools) and they are in fraternities so I imagine they spend a lot of time drinking and trying to get into their fellow sorority sisters' panties. (I'm trying not to say anything bad about frats; I'm sure HTF members were/are in them and enjoy it but these guys give fraternities a bad name.) But all this is neither here nor there...I am waiting to get out of here. Full Sail sounds great and the folks and I plan on checkin' it out soon. Thanks for all your input too.
    Sorry if I started to rant there. I just had to vent! [​IMG]

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I had two friends graduate from there. One now works at Borders selling coffee and the other is still looking for a job. I wanted to go there when I graduated but it just cost too much.

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    All I know is that the Film school is great. Supposedly the best in Florida but the tuition is outrageous. I have a friend going there soon. He claims that in the film school it's a 2 year long course but they pack it in to 2 months.Yikes that's alot of work.

11. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

That is one place where I would love to go if I didn't have to make a living.

Being a recording engineer and mixer has always been a dream of mine.

12. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I have two or three in my fridge right now, calling my name....

oh, not that Full Sail.

13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Jared, that's what I thought this thread was about, too!
    [​IMG]

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Me too Dennis, me too. Great Amber!
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

15. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Scott,

I graduated from Full Sail's Audio Engineering program in July '95. I worked in the "industry" for about 9 months afterwards doing everything from commercial shoots to stuffing CDs and inserts into sleeves to landscaping for a well known commercial photographer!

I paid about $19,000 for tuition, and I understand that it's now about $29,000. I know a few people from my class went on to do good things, and their placement rate IS very high (they have/had a great placement department), but the truth is that less than half the people (as of '95)who graduate from there go on to work (long term) in an entertainment related field.

It's a pretty dog eat dog field to work in, and it's common to spend the first year or 2 working for little or nothing being someone's gofer, whether it's in film or audio. I know the school's emphasis is more on "multi-media" now, but I'm sure the same applies.

Whether it's worth the tuition or not is up to you, obviously. They have top of the line facilities and equipment, and their instructors are/were quite good for the most part. The curriculum (sp?) is tough, though. Lot's of homework, studying and middle of the night sessions and labs. It was a great experience, but I have to say that I wasn't one of those people that went on to do great things (in the entertainment industry anyway). I'm happy how my life has turned out so far, but I don't think I could take the endless hours of mixing music/projects anyway.

Now, I'm off to the Maldives for 2 weeks! Ciao.

16. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

put me down as another west coast member who thought this was gonna be a thread about beer.[​IMG]

17. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Even though you can't get it in Canada, I too enjoy Amber when I can get it.

18. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I was going to stay out of this—but since the thread seems to have been hijacked, I’ll own up to checking it out because of the title.
    Of course when I saw a post by Ron, it just confirmed my suspicions. [​IMG]