Anyone ever have a problem with a red spot on a RPTV??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EugeneR, Jul 1, 2003.

1. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

I was just wondering because this is weird... I recently noticed a red spot in the middle of my screen (a Panny 47wx42), about 1/16 in diameter. I called the authorized repair shop, they came out and told me that the spot is in the green projection tube and that the tube needs to be replaced.
    They ordered a new tube, then took the TV in and made the switch. The replacement tube had the same problem, so they ordered another one. Finally the second replacement tube arrived, they replaced the first replacement and brought my TV back. Guess what? Same problem again, except the spot moved. I called the store again, and they are really scratching their heads. They told me that the spot appears to be residue left in the liquid used to fill the projection tube. They think that their distributor might have gotten a bad batch of tubes, and are going to call Panasonic tomorrow to order a tube directly from them. Then of course they will need to take my TV in again. Thank God the TV is still under warranty. I was wondering if anyone has ever had the same problem or is it that I'm just lucky?

2. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Eugene, I work at a PTV manufacturing plant, and spots are a very common problem from vendor in CRT's. The odd thing is that they ship the TV to the distributor with a spot in it. And 3 out of 3 CRT's with spot, I think is bad luck. It could also be residue left in the liquid to fill the projection tube. Hang in there till you get your TV fixed.

Hugo