Anyone ever give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I have, but I'll save my story for a bit later. Interested in hearing other tales.

Jon

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I did when my grandma had a stroke, but she passed away from the stroke. This was over 17 years ago.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Not mouth-to-mouth, but with a bag-valve-mask. I was a volunteer EMT for 3 years. I responded to 4 working codes and performed CPR and defibrillation. All were unsuccessful...

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Four or five times when I was a life guard at Fort Myers Beach during the summers when I was in college..

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I have twice.

First time, less than a month after I got my EMT license

I was at the KC Municpal court to testify on a case, and a lady dropped dead in the lobby. A cop and I gave CPR until the paramedics arrived. We brought her back twice (she had a pulse and was breathing on her own), but she didn't make it.

Second time, I was working as a police officer, and a medical call went out to our police secretary's house. Her husband was terminally ill. I got there first, and asked if she wanted me to try to revive him, or if she had a DNR. She said to try. I started, and the ambulance arrived. We brought him back, and he lived for several more hours. Just enough time for his family to say goodbye to him. I am truly thankful I had that opportunity.

BTW, that's is something that they don't often tell you at CPR school. The majority of people don't make it. That can be very frustrating. But, as in the second case, I got him a little extra time, so it was worth it!

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Oh.. it's supposed to be mouth to mouth? Oops. Wrong orifice I guess.. no wonder that guy never came around. Took forever to get that taste out of my mouth, too.

7. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Have done it several times....several years ago. After going straight mouth-to-mouth and receiving a vomit transfer I went mouth-to-mask-to mouth with a valve from then on.

That's something you never forget.

8. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Alright, here's my story:

I'm an RN and have been involved with several resuscitation efforts, but this one was different. I was taking care of a twelve-year-old boy when his mom, who was sitting on his bed, said she didn't feel well. Next thing, she keels over sideways, unconscious. I ease her to the floor and recognize that she is arresting. Knowing that the ambu-bag, which is on the wall, won't reach her with the limited length of oxygen tubing attached, I mouth-to-mouth her. Others come running into the room and we work on reviving her for 45 minutes with no success. For the first ten minutes or so, the boy is standing on the bed screaming "Mama!" over and over again. Something I will never forget.

It wasn't until I was driving home that day that I realized that I could have avoided the mouth-to-mouth part of it: I could have easily detached the bag from the oxygen tubing and just used it with room air. Duh.

This was three years ago. I still see the boy now and then; he's doing well.

Jon

9. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Jon,

Right...you would have gotten a higher oxygen concentration using the bag than you did with mouth-to-mouth. But thought isn't always rational in these situations!

By the way, I've never done it, and the American Heart Association (in its ACLS course,anyway) isn't recommending it anymore, especially if you don't know the person.

Tony