Anyone ever get ordained to perform weddings?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jefferson Morris, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Hello, all. Earlier this year some dear friends of mine did me the great honor of asking me to perform their wedding ceremony. I'm not an ordained minister (or even a believer in God), but this didn't dissuade them, and I graciously accepted. The wedding will be in New Orleans next March.

I'm just wondering if any HTF'ers have had to do this themselves and if they could offer any advice. New Orleans requires a notarized "affidavit of ministry" and ordination papers in order to perform weddings. I've web searched various ordination-by-mail places, but I'm wary of being scammed into buying some piece of paper that won't be legally recognized.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Jefferson Morris

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Universal Life Church (ULC.org) is FREE! But sadly NY changed its laws so now I need an actual church to get my tax break...... its getting harder and harder to avoid being an honest guy sometimes.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It is a tough world, Reverend Lundy.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Really? No provision for a non-ordained, civil ceremony? I think that being registered as a notary is enough in most states, although I seem to recall that Louisianna has a bunch of goofy, unique regulations.

5. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

In Alaska anyone can be appointed a one-time marriage commissioner. It's a routine civil appointment made by the presiding judge of the judicial district (of which there are four in Alaska) with almost no scrutiny.

I believe the origins of this practice in Alaska may relate to the relatively low population density and the lack, in times past and in certain areas of the state, of resident religious officiants. It's now very common for couples up here to be have their ceremonies performed by friends, relatives who come up from Outside (the lower 48, or America), etc.

In the recent past there were a few individuals who had "standing" (semi-permanent) commissioner appointments, depending on whether the presiding judge of the judicial district saw fit to issue such appointments (which can be lucrative). I don't know if those standing appointments still exist.

The only problems I ever heard about regarding these one-time commissioners were their unfamiliarity with the paperwork processing, or with the ceremonies being delayed (which invalidated their date-specific appointments). And they didn't have marriage ceremonies on-hand, which was a problem for couples who hadn't written their own ceremonies or who hadn't thought ahead to find a standard ceremony to use.

6. Jefferson Morris

Thanks for the link, Garret.

Jason - yes, they appear to require some sort of religious affiliation.

I found this site that looks quasi-legitimate, but who knows:
    http://openordination.org/.

--Jefferson Morris

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    In my country, one would have to be an appointed official (and in church, which is a ceremony that's separated from the civil - legal - wedding, you'd have to be a minister or priest of that church), so I cannot help you.

But I wondered:
    Why so much trouble to avoid being honest? What kind of church are you associated with?

Cees

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Blessed Mother of the Sacred Write-Off.

9. Jefferson Morris

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm just blatantly trying to get this thread back to the top of the list in the hopes of getting more responses.

--Jefferson Morris

10. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Stunt Coordinator

We got married in Louisiana about 5 years ago. We wanted a relative who was an out-of-state ordained minister to perform the wedding. Every state has different marrige laws, and Louisiana is pretty much different than most when it comes to these sorts of things. If i recall correctly, he had to actually come into the state and fill out some forms to be authorized to perform a marrige in LA. We also had to apply for the marrige liscense a few weeks in advance of the ceremony. Your best bet is to call the clerk of court for the parish (not county) where you want to perform the marrige and see what you need to do.