Anyone ever get headaches from their projector?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joe Zemaitis, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Joe Zemaitis

Joe Zemaitis Stunt Coordinator

I just got an X1... While it was working yesterday, I got a heck of a headache after watching for only 1-2 hours. I noticed some rainbows too. I heard headaches can happen on a 2x color wheel.... I'm thinking about returning it and holding out for a 4805. I read that 4x color wheels seem to be alot easier on the eyes. Ah.. My screen might be lonely for a while now since no one knows when the 4805 will be available.

Joe

2. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I got a headache the first time I watched mine and within a couple days I stopped noticing eye strain. At least for me there was a definite break in period. Also calibrating the picture helped a lot. I still notice rainbows, but they are extremely minor and only in scenes that are completely black with bright white lights.

3. Joe Zemaitis

Joe Zemaitis Stunt Coordinator

Wow, great! What can I do with my X1 to improve my picture quality from the out of the box settings?

Joe

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Calibrate it with AVIA, DVE, or S&V Test disc... i avia'd mine, it looks GREAT now...

also, make sure the PJ is NOT in Presentation mode.

Usually, rainbows and headaches go away after watching it for awhile. i used to see rainbows (not many but i still saw them), but now i rarely ever do.

Good luck!

5. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I just got an X1 and here are my observations so far:

I can see the rainbows slightly but isn't really a problem. This is coming from a guy who gets headaches easy (I keep Excedrin extra strength always in my cubbard). I feel a tad bit of eyestrain after a while but is something I can get used to I think. I have more of an issue with screen door more than the rainbows. I defocused the lense some but don't want to soften the image too much. I'm sitting about 9' away with about an 80" widesreen image.

I'm only using a bright white wall with s-video. I don't have the adapter yet for my component cables. I hope this will improve the color saturation. But for now the image is very impressive and far more cinematic than my 56" widescreen.

My dvd plyer is a Panny RP-91. I'm not sure if the X1's deinterlacer is better or not but for now I am going to try the component>s-video adapter and let the X1 do the work

Think I'm gonna hold out for the 4805 though. This is my first experience with a FP[​IMG]

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron