Anyone ever experience PROBLEMS w/ their PIONEER 59-AVi??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarcoBiscotti, Sep 26, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I purhased my 59-AVi earlier this summer (early June) and foolishly decided to go through an online e-tailer which offers region-free mods.

I wanted a top-of-the-line unit for my new H.T. and the 59-AVi by most people's standards and reviews is supposed to be referance playback so I was very much looking forward to it.

I took a 3 year extended warranty on the modified unit at this e-tailer whom I'd purchased a mid-range JVC DVD player from approx. 1.5-2 years earlier. I've never had a problem with this older player before, it was excellent quality, so I trusted this company to offer the same for my newly modified Pio Elite.

Anyways, to make a long story short...

I was unabale to connect and run the player all summer as I didn't have any viewing monitor or source - I was waiting for my DLP projector to be installed and my in-wall speakers weren't in place yet, so up until 3 weeks ago it sat in it's packaged box, unopened and exactly as I received it.

Well 3 weeks ago my dealer/installer finally came through and got to work on my H.T. setup. He built me a nice little cabinet to house my amps, video scaler and DVD player.

Everything was in place and hooked up and it took a full day to do all the installations and everything. The only thing was, my HD Leeza video scaler was not hooked up yet because they were having some minor issues with the Arcam amps and it was late in the day and there was still more tweaking to be donw with the pj as far as calibration... so we left it at that and they told me they'd be back in about a week and a half (they had a meeting out of town). No problem.

At least my Home Theater was finally setup and I could watch movies. So I finally had my chance to test out the player... and it didn't look too hot!

The problem was, I didn't attribute this to the player yet because I figured they still had a lot more adjustments to do and the leeza wasn't connecxted yet so it wasn't outputting a true native signal and I was told they would be back to perfect everything.

Fine, I made do for two weeks and watched my movies in lesser quality. Here's the thing...

They came back today to put hook up my scaler and put the finnishing touches on my setup and just for fun, I asked them to install my older JVC player as well because I noticed that for some reason... my new Pioneer was having a bit of minor issues with layer changes. It would freeze up for half a second which is something I never experienced with my JVC and didn't much like.

Well they hooked up the JVC and got my HD Leeza running and calibrated both players and the works. Now HERE'S where the problem is...

My relatively cheap $500 JVC player plays BETTER than my $1000 + top of the line Pioneer Elite player!!!

I'm extremely angry about this and don't know if it's a faulty unit, if the region-free modification screwed it up or if the player just stinks!

It looks as though there are serious interlacing issues!

There is an EXTREME edginess to the picture! Moving images very briefly break up into lines and to the discerning eye, the overall pq is just blotchy and ugly! It's extremely noticeable on animated features, moreso than other films.

Even animated menu screens break up and look ugly!

How can this be??

My JVC is now connected as well and the image is absolutely pristine and beautiful!

But I am angry that I am not seeing the quality from my $1,000 + DVD player over an older JVC not even half the price!

Plus I'm even more upset because the sound is greatly improved on the Pioneer Elite, but I'm not going to watch DVD's on it that makes my picture look crappy and cheap like there are interlacing issues!

Has anyone ever heard of this before or ever experienced something similar and what could this be the result of?

Is it possible that the Pioneer Elite 59-AVi is just all hype and really doesn't offer optimal DVD playback afterall?

I'm sorry for the very long post but I really hope somebody reads through this and offers some feedback!

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Are you familiar with Secrets? They certainly liked the player. [​IMG]

One suggestion: change the deinterlacer setting to Auto2. That seems to give the best results for all media types.

Also, make sure to have progressive mode engaged too.

But yes, the 59AVi does have a noticeable layer change. (A lot of players do.) A person on AVS has a preproduction model of the new 79AVi (should be out in Oct or so), and he says that its layer change is improved.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Kevin,

The player was certainly preset to progressive mode, I'll try out Auto2 for the deinterlacer setting, though I'm sure I've played around with that setting already.

I don't understand how this unit can be considered "player-of-the-year" and regarded among the best DVD players out there when it's outperformed by a cheaper $500 JVC and has difficulty with things like layer changes - which shouldn't be!

There is certainly something wrong with the playback though... The pq is dull and edgy. The only positive thing I can say about this player is that it offers great sound but I think I'm going to be returning this if I can!

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

There is nothing wrong with the player. Although it is possible you got a bad one. It is rated as one of the best DVD video players by Secret's using the HDMI output.

There are a few JVCs tested too. None of them did that well compared to the Pioneer although they did like its raw video quality:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

You are using the component outputs? You have the cable colors mapped correctly?