Anyone ever die before?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I did. It sucked.

Actually I did when I was a toddler, they brought me back to the light though. I don't have any weird powers though.

2. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

Interesting question. I just told a friend this story at dinner the other night.
    I was told that I was 'on the other side' briefly. In June of '95 I underwent the first of 2 open heart procedures. I was 30 years old at the time. I was having valve replacement, procedure should have lasted 3 hours. But there were complications and I was on the table for 9 hours. I'm not sure how long they 'lost' me for. Honestly, I don't want to know.
    I woke 2 days later. The only thing I can recall from my sleep, and it was a ittle spooky, but it was very dark and I saw what appeared to be skeletons all around me, some clawing at me. The doctors say it was all effects from the anesthesia. I'll buy that and sleep better at night!
    In '96, I underwent a similar procedure due to problems from the first surgery. 3 hours, no complications and no bad experiences. All has been peachy since.
    It would be nice to have saw 'the light', but maybe my fate is bringing me to a darker place!

3. andrew markworthy

The only experience I have of such things was in a pretty bad car crash, which aside from a fragment of engine embedded in my shin, didn't leave much damage. The car rolled on to its back and slid downhill along the road for some time before stopping. And yes, my life did flash before me. Simultaneous with this, two thoughts went through my mind (and I'm not making this up). The first was 'my mum's going to kill me' (she'd warned me that the guy who was driving was a hopeless driver) and the second was 'my life's just flashed before me - what an interesting psychological phenomenon; I wonder if any serious research has been done on this'. It was at this precise moment that I realised I was born to be a psychology lecturer.

I should perhaps add that I later asked the guy driving what went through his mind, and he claimed it was 'I haven't had enough sex'.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I nearly died--that is, when "friends" forced me into going with them to see Independence Day on the evening of its premier at the Chinese Theatre. Afterward, upon leaving the theater, I wished I was dead.

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Anyone want to?

I was reading about a medical experiment that they were seeking Males between 19 and 25 where they would have to stop and then restart your heart to experiment with some medical equipment.

I believe it paid $10,000.

-Vince

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I would, but I'm still involved with the experiment documenting the long term effects of continuous blows to the head. They say I can be free to pursue other opportunities in a month, though.

8. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Vince -- Where can I sign up?! I gotta get a new 16x9 Widescreen HDTV set. I was thinking about a Pioneer Elite... [​IMG]

9. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

10. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

11. Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore Stunt Coordinator

come close! about 3 ft from a lightning strike!

12. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

LOL... some of these posts are hilarious!

Personally I've had several close calls:

1) When I was about 4, I fell out the door of a fast moving car due to my cousin mistakenly opening the door instead of rolling the window down. In other words I went out with her gum.... I was told I suffered head injuries resulting in 98 stitches. To have lived was said to be due to a toboggan I had on and my mom said I didn't go anywhere without my "boggen on. That was in 1953. I have no memory of some years back then but later in the 70's learned that I must have had a puncture wound that caused a tear in my brain lining. To date, no severe problems.

2) In 1971, we were celebrating my 22nd birthday at my home which then was in a rural area. Someone called the cops who came out and checked on us. One cop, my best friend, another friend and myself were standing close to the highway talking when a car driven by a drunk (at 90mph) hit a parked car then ran off the road and hit our group. Killed were the cop and my best friend. The other friend was terribly injured and stayed in the hospital for months. I was not scratched and to this day have never figured out how. The driver got 5 years for the deaths. I lost my best friend.

3) My scariest time was later that year, I had a reaction to some medication that I now know I'm SEVERLY allergic to. I was rushed to the hospital, checked and the coroner was called and I was pronounced dead. One family member had stayed at the hospital to see that arrangements were carried out. A little later an emergency room attendant was moving me and noticed the sheet moving from my breathing. The family member said you should have seen the attendants face when he burst through the door called for a doctor! As you know I lived although I was in the hospital for 6 weeks and had to go through a bunch of tests. That is when they found I had brain damage from the #1 incident.

Results: After 30 years, I still miss my best friend. Due to the #3 incident, I am hesitant to take even an aspirin!

The family still jokes about my cousin throwing me and her gum out the car door....

13. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Let's see...I've been shot, stabbed, electrocuted, hanged, torched, drowned, smashed, blown to bits, thrown into an acid vat, decapitated, dismembered, eviscerated, impaled on a pitchfork, had a Police Academy marathon forced upon me, seen Ernest Bourgnine naked and somehow I keep coming back. It's a real drag, but no wonder my co-workers are afraid of me.

14. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Jesus H Christ Donny! Tha's some serious shit you've ben through! Very scary stuff! Glad you came through it all alright!