Anyone ever been to these TV shows live?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Oct 9, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

My first trip to LA.

We're going to see Late Late Show with special guest host Craig Fergeson on Friday, Price is right on Monday, and Tonight Show with Jay Leno(even though I'm a Dave fan, my father watches his show) on Tuesday.

Has anyone gone to these shows that can give us tips on how to get in, as a Ticket dosn't automatically gauruntee you entrance, especially in the price is rights case?

Also, what's better to travel around LA, rent a car, or go to a Taxi....

Thanks

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I think you have to line up really early to get into those shows.

I'd rent a car.

~T

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I saw a few shows in LA back in the 80's including 'Real People', 'Newhart' (Daryl, Daryl, & Darly![​IMG] ), and a game show or two.

I was only about 13 at the time so I don't remember much and the process has probably changed since then. But I would imagine, get your ticket and show up as early as possible. Ask someone at the studio to give you a time they think you should be there to guarantee getting in, and then show up even earlier!

4. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    We've been to the Tonight Show. Get there in the morning, as they pull the front of the line into the seats on the floor, as opposed to the bleachers.

Jay is very nice, and always comes out and talks, takes pictures, makes phone calls home, etc. Have some fun. It was a good time.

5. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    For getting around, definitely rent a car.

It has been awhile but I have been to 2 Price is Right tapings and to the Tonight show once.

The Price is Right is nuts. Tons of people, lots don't get in. As I recall they tape two showings, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Best bet is to go early for the AM show, and if you don't make it try for the afternoon show.

The Tonight Show crowds can vary quite a bit depending on the guests. When I went I don't think the guests were very popular (James Carville, Richard Dryfus, Celine Dion this was in 1996). We got there about 1:30 PM and I would say there were maybe 100 people in line before us. I believe they start letting people in around 4:30 (not sure). However, there have been times when people start lining up the night before. Just depends on who is on the show.

While it doesn't sound like it is going to be an option for you, a great place to catch Jay is at The Comedy & Magic Club in Hermosa Beach. He usually does stand up there every Sunday, although for some reason he is only going to be there on the 10th and 31st of this month.

Have fun in LA.

-Keith

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Randy- so the Tonight Show is first come, first serve? No tickets necessary?

I remember walking on the beach in LA and they had signs with free tix to shows that were being taped within the week. Look out for those. Or you can just call NBC's ticket office (212) 664-3056 or 3057 which is easier for information.

Just fyi one time I waited hours in the snow for standby Conan tickets. I was #30 but none of us got in. Probably because a) it was xmas week and b) Tom Hanks was a guest. Even with tickets received months in advance the line sucks. [​IMG] ..but it's the only sure-fire way to get in.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

How do the people attending the tonight Show know wich guests are going to be there in advance?

I don't think we have to worry about lines as far as attending the tonight Show and Late Late show goes. My neighbor is in the movie buisness and managed to get us special passes to these two shows(The Tonight Show was a 'sell out' when we sent in requests the normal way).

In fact, I've been told that the guest host for the Late Late show is taking us on a tour of the set, backstage and all, so that should definetly be fun [​IMG].
    I'll post pictures if we're allowed to take them.

But we'll be waiting in line like everyone else for Price is Right and Familly Fued [​IMG]. Hopefully the Fued line won't be as long as the Price line. I've been told by a former announcer of Price, that 4AM is a good time to get in line for the show for guarunteed admitance..

8. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Here's a list of upcoming guests: http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_S...y_Leno/guests/

You are going on Tuesday the 19th, right? Duran Duran will be performing that day, and there will probably be a lot of fans attending that might make it harder for you to get in. Double check that those special passes guarantee seats.

~T

9. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

1. do not rent a taxi for getting around L.A. The city is very spread out and with the amount of time you'll spend at a stand-still on the freeways you'll end up broke.

2. The Tonight show is a show in high demand. As others have stated, get in line early because you are not guaranteed a spot. Also, Tonight Show tickets are not given away at the beach. Those tickets are for lower demand-type shows.

3. I used to see Craigers all the time and getting in wasn't a problem at all (although I never went on a day with a huge celebrity). I got the "tickets" at the Venice Beach boardwalk and had to be at CBS studios by 3pm. Also, that's the same studio for the Price is Right. Jay (who works at the Late Late Show) said that people are CRAZY over the Price is Right and line up very, very early in the morning just hoping to get tickets. He said that it is one of the hardest shows to get into.

4. You should have no problem getting into the Late Late Show, especially with Craigers being gone.

5. You should also be able to pick up some tickets for other shows at the Venice Beach boardwalk. There should be a guy standing there with the list of shows and a listing of which celebrity is on each specific day. While you are there, pick up some eats at Jodi Maroni's. Damn I miss living in Venice!