What's new

Anyone ever attended a TV show taping (Studio Audience)? Share your experiences! (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hello

Just wondered if anyone here on the HTF has attended a TV show taping as a member of the studio audience?

My wife and I attended a taping of "The King of Queens" this past weekend at the Sony studios in LA - and we both found it to be a very worthwhile experience.

We are now looking into attending a few other tapings of various sitcoms out here in LA/Hollywood.

After the taping, Kevin James, Leah Remini and Jerry Stiller (one of my all-time favorite actors) all signed autographs for anyone in the audience who wanted them. I brought along a "King of Queens" DVD that I had and they all signed it. When Jerry Stiller came around I wanted to yell "Hoochie Mamma" out to him...but I resisted :) My wife managed to get a copy of the script for the show and they were all very gracious enough to sign it as well.

The whole thing made for a long day (as we live about 2 1/2 hrs away from LA) and there is alot of down time (especially waiting to make sure you can get in for the taping) but I thought it was completely worth it. The whole filming process lasted approximately 5 hrs from start to finish once we were in the studio.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience...anyone else?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
I was at a "King of Queens" taping about 3 weeks ago. I had VIP seating. Which meant I didn't have to wait in the line, they hold seats. Was able to walk down on the set before and after the taping. And even though they say its not allowed. We were allowed to eat a bit from their food table..some good stuff. :)
I agree with you the cast was very nice. Was Roger your warm-up comic? He was very funny and very nice. Leah Remini was awesome. My daughter is a huge Saved by the Bell fan (see was on for a season as Zack's girlfriend). And she recorded a short message to her on my camcorder.

Pics (Click to enlarge):

Leah Remini
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/6/68/htf_imgcache_307.jpeg] [/url]

Kevin James
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/c/cb/htf_imgcache_308.jpeg] [/url]

Victor Williams
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/5c/htf_imgcache_309.jpeg] [/url]

Gary Valentine
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/3/36/htf_imgcache_310.jpeg] [/url]

Roger
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/f/fb/htf_imgcache_311.jpeg] [/url]

Wife & I on the set
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/84/htf_imgcache_312.jpeg] [/url]

Set picture (Kevin is in the back)
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/02/htf_imgcache_313.jpeg] [/url]

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Todd

Those are some great pics! How did you get VIP seating (just curious)?

Roger was our warm up comic indeed - however, it was his last taping with KOQ because he is moving on to another show (the name escapes me at the moment) after being with KOQ for 9 years. They all stopped production about 3/4 of the way through and gave him a cake and Leah and Kevin both thanked him for all the good work over the years. He was really touched and you could tell he really loves what he does for a living.

We were at a Saturday taping, so they did a few things different (according to Roger). They fed us Pizza and soda...and TONS of chocolate candy. They also had MANY giveaways of Sony items (DVD player (portable) and a couple boom-boxes and mp3 players.

I wanted to get down on the set...but I'm no VIP :) I thought about mentioning my Military status (Active Duty Air Force) to Kevin when I was getting his autograph, but didn't want to be too pushy on something like that. But they were all great and you could tell they really cared about the fans at the show.

I wish they would have allowed cameras in, but I understand why they don't. I'll have to take some pictures of my autographed items and post them here when I have the time this weekend.

Any other experiences anyone?

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
A few: The Carol Burnett Show, and 2 "Tonight Shows" (one with Johnny, one with Jay).

The Tonight Show was uneventful. Freddy DeCordoba did the warm up. THe blonde from "Who's the Boss" was the main guest on the Jay episode. Tom Jones was the guest on the Johnny episode.

The Carol Burnett Show was a different case. I was one of those people who raised his hand to ask Carol a question. I asked if she would sponsor me in a March of Dimes Walk-a-Thon. She called me up on stage and used my back as a desk to write out the form ($20/mile). Harvey Korman kept mispronouncing "sea bass" (he said with a long "a", like the instrument). When he finally got it right, he accentuated word "bass", long and drawn out. It was a giggle to see that take on the televised episode; I imagined most people wondered why Korman delivered the line that way. Roddy McDowell was the guest.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Michael, Regarding my VIP seating. My cousin is very good friends who was the executive producer of "Everyone Loves Raymond". And he is good friends with Kevin James. So he arranged it. It was very cool. We were chatting with Roger after (while eating LOL). And we were talking about what he thinks(as a professional comic) about Last Comic Standing. It came up because he said that short female comic (I think Rebecca) from this season was at a taping a few weeks before. He says most comics aren't too thrilled with the show. He agreed that they are looking for comics who make good tv, not necessarily good comedy.

About, 15 years ago. I did see a taping for "Who's the Boss" and "Head of the Class". I had vip seating for both...so I have gotten spoiled. ;)

ps-Michael, Thank you for your service to the country. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
About 20 years ago (I think it was 1982) I was at a taping of 'Newhart'. It was a great experience. After the taping I spoke with Larry and got his autograph. After that Daryl and Daryl came over and spoke too! I got their autographs and also Tom Posten's.

That same year we went to a taping of 'Real People' (with Sarah Purcell, Skip Stephenson, etc.). It was the episode where they had Lenny Skutnik on, the guy who dove into the Potomac to save some people who were in the frozen river after the crash of Air Florida 90.

We also saw a couple game shows.

Great fun.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
1995, I saw David Letterman. It was a neat experience. The guests were Penn & Teller and Bob Costas. The real cool part was, the comedian was Jeffrey Ross, who was making his TV debut.

The thing that REALLY bugged me was, the VERY NEXT DAY was the show where Drew Barrymore flashed Letterman for his birthday!!! :angry: DAMN! One freakin' day short!!!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I was at a Letterman in 2000 or 2001. Don Rickles was the guest. I remember being struck at how small the set looked compared to what it looks like on TV. I remember Carson saying the same thing on his show (people are surprised how small the set is).

About 10 years ago I was in LA and caught the taping of a now cancelled syndicated talk show (Crook and Chase). The guests were Hollywood mayor Johnny Grant and the dynamic duo of Dick Clark and Ed McMahon.

While in Nashville in the 90s I attended a taping of TNN's flagship show, Nashville Now (hosted by Ralph Emery). The main guest was a then popular group called Highway 101.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah! Those wide angles do wonders!!!! and how about the crew all huddled around the cameras? :D If you haven't been to a taping, basically the only way to watch the show 'live' is to watch the TV's because you can't see Letterman due to the small stage and all of the cameras and people huddled around.

Tony Int

Agent
Back in the 80's I saw a taping of The Facts of Life. It was during their last season and was the episode that Natalie lost her virginity! I remember that when they were ready to begin taping, an announcement was made to the effect "Due to the content of tonights episode, Lisa Welchel has declined to participate" and with that they intro'd everyone and began taping. It was later that I learned she is very religious and did not feel right being in an episode that might be viewed as promoting premarital sex.

In the 90's I worked for ABC and went to a taping of Spin City when Heather Locklear had just joined the cast, but was not yet airing. As I worked for ABC I was a "VIP" and got to meet the cast and walk the set, etc. Heather and Michael J. Fox were both so nice to everyone on set and in the audience. My friend and I left after watching for about 2 hours and they had only completed a couple of scenes.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Nope. It's in it's 9th season now and will be back next season for it's 10th and final run. I believe next season will be a shortened run though, but not sure.

P.S. Todd: Thanks for your kind words and support!

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I saw David Letterman's 8th anniversary special which was taped in Hollywood. That was friggin hilarious. I was dying with laughter, laughing so hard it hurt my head. I can't explain why it was so much more enjoyable in person. Maybe a great crowd, I dunno, but I remember saying how great it was. good times.

Saw Leno on the Tonight Show, with guest Jim Carrey back in 2001, he was promoting the Grinch at the time.
Jim Carrey+live t.v. = very enjoyable.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
While not really a taping, since the show is live. My wife and I went to see Saturday Night Live. The host was Alan Cumming, musical guest was Jennifer Lopez.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Drew Carey Show and Dennis Miller Live.

Drew Carey was actually a double as we provided the laughter for a clip show. Drew came out before the show and chatted with the audience. Because of the clip show we were there a LONG time - about 8 hrs, IIRC. Most of the audience started to leave near the end and we were kind of annoyed when they brought pizza in for the crew.

I can't recall who the guest for Dennis Miller was, some guy we'd never heard of. We're waiting in line and are about to go into the stage when some dick and his girlfriend pushed past us to get in. Karma came back as he was seated in the seats we would have gotten - last two in the back row. This meant we were seated in the first row in the next section. You can even see us on the tape.

-paul

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is gonna seem pretty lame after all of the above, but my one and only live taping session occurred in 1958 or 1959 at the NBC Studios for THE PERRY COMO SHOW. I was in the first or second row and cameras were wheeling all over the place - guys lifting cables and lots of silent movement. I seem to recall this was a theater-in-the-round stage (maybe just semi-circular...hey, this was almost fifty years ago, so forgive me fragile memory). Of course, I very distinctly remember being all impressed at seeing this guy walk casually out wearing his traditional sweater and singing "Dream Along With Me," having seen him do that on t.v. so many times. My dad was an advertising exec. in NYC and so could get tickets for these things pretty much when he wanted, therefore I'm surprised this was the only time I got to visit a studio. It was definately a rush for a young boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks