What's new

Anyone else watch Crank Yankers on Comedy Central last night? (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I thought this show was hillarious. The scenario is like this: the producers or actors or whatever you want to call them place real crank calls to unsuspecting victims. The calls range from ridiculous to vulgar and the whole thing gets recorded. The phone call is then put into a visual experience by having puppets act out the parties on both sides of the phone.
In one instance, the crank callers were two guys sitting at a computer - they were calling a phone sex line. Well, that's not that funny until you find out that one of the guys calling is deaf. So one guy does the dirty talking to the phone sex girl and then he types out her response on the computer. He ends up having this poor girl screaming like an Asian woman while he holds the phone up to his deaf friends "change purse" ;). I guess you have to see it, but I was rolling listening to what they put these poor people through. It reminds me of the Jerky Boys but for TV.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I thought the Phone Sex bit was histarical but other then that I didn't really laugh at all during the rest of the show. I'll still watch again because it's Adam and Jimmy.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Any of you guy's ever heard of the Jerky Boys?

I do think Crank Yankers is hilarious though even if it is a copycat.

Ike

Screenwriter
Any of you guy's ever heard of the Jerky Boys?
Since it was mentioned in the first post, I'd say yes.

Stephen Colbert's was my favorite. "I'm just going to tell him your Asian, okay?" I hope they have Sarah Silverman do more.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
It reminds me of the Jerky Boys but for TV
What are the legal ramifications of this? I'd heard the Jerky Boys went to jail/were fined for doing these stunts (which could be unsubstantiated rumors).
My main beef with 'em is their ad campaign. The annoying pop-up that rings while you're browsing...you guys in the HTF Fight Club on Yahoo know what I'm talking about. :D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
So far I'm unimpressed. Perhaps because I watched it right after the most funny Greg the Bunny I've ever seen, and I was angry that if it had premeired on Comedy Central rather than Fox, it would probably not get cancelled.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Which one was it, John? Where Gil and his son eat the brownies? "WHAZAAAP!" :laugh:
Yeah, what is up with cancelling GtB? Andy Richter had the same ratings and it keep on going. Cheaper to produce? Who knows..
Anyhow, back to your 'Crank Yankers' thread. ;)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll take this over to the GtB thread, but since you asked, yes. But it was neither the brownies nor the whazzup! It was Schnuckums (sp) the fairy bear that had me trying to breathe :).

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Originally posted by IKE
Since it was mentioned in the first post, I'd say yes.
OOPS.
I guess I read that one a little too quickly. No one should be allowed to put anything substantial in the last line. ;):D
I also wondered about them getting in legal trouble and had heard the same thing about the Jerky Boys. I do know that in North Carolina and some other states that it is OK to record a conversation as long as at least one of the parties knows it is being recorded so it would seem that they would be OK here. I remember that Linda Tripp got in trouble because in Maryland, both parties must be aware. I guess they could offer to pay people for their cooperation but it seems unlikely that KFC would allow the beak bit to go on the air if they had a choice.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Any of you guy's ever heard of the Jerky Boys?
I do think Crank Yankers is hilarious though even if it is a copycat.
>>
Forget Jerky Boys. I havn't heard one of their scams, but as far as I'm concerned, Scott and Todd are the masters of phone scams :). I'd like to see these guys act out a few in particular. Descriptions don't do 'em justice :).

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Neil, if you haven't heard the Jerky Boys, you're really missing out. I would literally drive down the road crying because I was laughing so hard... especially the Egyptian Magician or the guy who goes to the dentist and wakes up with his pants off. Do yourself a favor and get a CD of these guys.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've just never been a fan of crank call or candid camera type shows. If someone did this to me I'd be arrested for assault because I would definitely kick some ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks