What's new

Anyone else want Starcrash? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have never actually seen the entire film but only about half on cable in 1986...not only would I like to see how it ended but frankly any chance to see Caroline Munro in tight oiled leather/plastic outfits is welcome!

A nice DVD release would be...well..nice...
I would think this was a no brainer release for Blue Underground or Anchor Bay.

HERE is a link to a cool little site featuring some very nice photos of Stella Star/Caroline Munro.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
This movie, in my opinion, was SO BAD it was GOOD! IMHO.

I was drunk when myself and friends watched it but I remember laughing out loud at the cheesy effects, truly awful dialogue and when David Hasselhoff turned up in a tight 70's afro hairstyle... well, we all split our sides laughing! As already pointed out... the best thing about this woeful effort is Caroline Munro's S&M outfits. They mainly consist of a variety of leather bikinis with pairs of thigh-high kinky boots.

A true cult film. A few will LOVE it, but most will think it's truly terrible.

Whatever happened to Caroline Munro? She was fine!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, I did enjoy Cozzi's Contamination, so I'd be up for it. I assume the rights are unavailable currently, otherwise Blue Underground would have been all over it!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The name "Zarth Arn" comes from Edmond Hamilton's book The Star Kings.

Neil

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Cheesy AND sexy! I'd buy it even though it's terrible! Extras would be good too.

Once again... whatever happened to Caroline Munro? Does she still act?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

YES! desperately!
yes it is bad...but it is enthusiatic and so damned earnest in its attempt to be entertaining, i can't help but love it.
there are a slew of mega budgeted, more name worthy and technically magnificent sci-fi/fantasy films that i haven't enjoyed 1/10 of as much as this.

unfortunately, Roger Cormans New Concorde hold the (domestic?) copyrights, and i not seen one disc put out by New Concorde that was anything approaching decent.
most of the films i see are cropped for one thing.
Starcrash was at least a 1.85 film and maybe even 2.35.
i notice on my tape copy very obvious panning and scanning.
even if they did release a widescreen copy of it (doubtful),
it most likely would not be anamorphic, and the only other OAR disc from them i've seen is Peter Bogdanovichs Saint Jack.
a great movie, but the disc has very substandard PQ.
a dirty rotten shame.

i'm not holding my breath for a decent release of this from New Concorde.
i also asked about this in the recent Anchor Bay chat.
and was told they looked into it a while ago and found the rights tied up.

there is only one small hope i see- maybe Corman doesn't have the rights to the English language dub outside of the US.
if there are seperate rights holders for the UK , say, then maybe Blue Underground or Anchor Bay could put out a PAL edition.
not much help to anyone without a region free player, but at least it would be something.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Caroline Munro continues to make regular appearances on the convention circuit, and recently completed two acting roles. She star's as Sentia in the Doctor Who audio play Omega, produced by Big Finish Productions, released this August.

Later this year she will be seen in Media Blasters' first movie production, Flesh for the Beast.

On the DVD front, she's provided a commentary for Paramount's upcoming Captain Kronos disc, an interview for Media Blaster's forthcoming Faceless, and a DVD about her life and career is also in the works.
The Official Caroline Munro Website

You can add my "Yes" for a STAR CRASH DVD. I would love to see BU give this the royal treatment.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I love this movie! You know it would be awesome if Criterion did a release of this. I know, that will never happen. This is a monumental B grade movie we're talking about here. Anchor Bay should be all over it. And throw in a vote for Turkish Star Wars, too!

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
According to imdb, it's out on DVD now. I didn't know that David Hasselhoff was in that movie (or that Ms. Monroe was the woman in that Adam Ant video- gotta love imdb!)

This movie can't be any worse than Laserblast...can it? ;)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
The Substance DVD (there are two other versions circulating, BTW) is pretty damn rough. The picture is 1.85:1 letterboxed (non-anamorphic) and has a fair amount of handling damage. The prologue crawl is in French, indicating it may be a straight standards conversion from the R2 French edition.

Having said that, it's a damn sight better than the old VHS I used to have. Glorious, screwy fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks