What's new

Anyone else underwhelmed by what they've seen of Tomb Raider 2? (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think the commercials are so lackluster and border on irritating. They might as well call it Generic Summer Action Movie 2. But then again Angelina Jolie doesn't do anything for me. She looks like a genetic hybrid combined to make an uberwoman. I'd be surprised if this movie makes $40 million on opening weekend.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
There's one slo-mo shot in which she's(I think) rolling on the floor and firing her guns and it just looks so ridiculous. As if she's giving birth or something. The look on her face is a contorted and twisted mess! It's like this :angry: combined with :D and a ponytail.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I thought the first film was terrible and I was a fan of the games. After the movie I lost interest in the Tomb Raider franchise and this one just confirms it. First action film this summer that I'll wait for the DVD. I think this film will bomb at the box office and really belive that Spy Kids 3D will be the victor of that weekend.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Travis you might know more about this: does Lara have a British accent in the game or is it just for the movies?

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Jolie nailed the character better than anyone who was a fan of the games could ever imagine, but unfortunately, the first film was mostly pure drek. The second one might actually be better but it would have to be A LOT better to get me into the theater to see it this time! And I'm a huge fan of the games and of the character, AND of HER! :D

-Dennis

KyleK

Second Unit
I agree that this film looks awful, but there is one shot in the trailer that really stunned me. Its the one where they are freefalling with those little wing suits off of the skyscraper.

Mmmmm.....visually stunning but ultimately pointless.....
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Kyle:D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok, Kyle I have to ask because that shot of them jumping off the building looks so mediocre to me. I mean they're jumping off a building and I'm guessing they have parachutes. What about it stunned you? :)

KyleK

Second Unit
I thought it would be fun to do.:b

I don't know, something about the sunset city and the wide shot looked like it was people actually doing it for real, then the close shot above them with the shadowed city below just seemed kinda cool to me. I'm sucker for Visually Stunning But Ultimately Pointless Action Movies. The rest of the preview however, looked dreadful.

Anyone know where the freefall was shot?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to it, but that's because I'll get to see it for free. I'm not expecting a good movie, just some neat stuff blowing up while a hot chick runs around in slow motion, but do people really expect more than that?

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Hated the first one and have no desire to see the second...but Speed helmer Jan de Bont is directing this time, so maybe it won't be so god awful after all.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Wait, how much money did the first one make? I can't believe after the first one that a sequal is even warranted and people actually thought it would be a "good" idea.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the first one broke even in theaters (had an amazing opening, like $50 million, then it went downhill fast).

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
In case any of you are interested, here are the box office stats for the first one. http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2001/TOMBR.html.

I think that a $274,500,000 worldwide gross would be enough to warrant a sequel. Though, Morgan is right about it dropping really fast after the first weekend.

I liked the first one. It was a fun little popcorn flick. It's got boobs and things that go boom. What more does a man need? :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Something more, apparently, or Charlies Angels 2 would be the biggest film of the summer instead of one of the big boobs...er, bombs. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd be surprised if this movie makes $40 million on opening weekend.
Man, we just take those ridiculous grosses in stride nowadays, don't we?

I think Paramount might have done well if they'd released it earlier in the season; when I first saw the trailers I was at least a little curious, despite having utterly despised the first one. Now, though, I've seen the same lifeless preview too many times, and the summer's big guns (Hulk, T3, etc.) have made it look small. It may well wind up being a decent movie, but what interest I may have had is gone.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
This summer movies like X2 and Matrix Reloaded entertained me because not only were they great popcorn flicks filled with lots of action but they were smart and had something to say. Now I'm spoiled when it comes to sequels. Movies that just offer action and T&A like TR2 or Charlie's Angels 2 don't hold any attraction for me either in theaters or at home on DVD. I'm pretty particular(snobby?) when it comes to movies but that's just me. :) I don't go to movies just to see a movie. It takes an awful lot to drag my butt to a theater.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
The screenings held on Monday revel a much better film than the impression you all have (so far.)

It is considered much better than the first film and the movie focus's on plot and script to drive the action... Not the other way around this time.

If those who are TR fans, you will not be disappointed, for those who are not... I think you might be surprised how good this film is (entertainment value wise).

Dugger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks