What's new

Anyone else turned off of certain actors because of personal preferences? (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
It takes a lot of effort for me to sit through a Tom Cruise film.
I have a friend who was cast in Minority Report (as one of the two twin brother pre-cogs) so I watched that one, and the reviews were too good for me to pass up Edge of Tomorrow, which I ended up loving.

The reverse, positive spin on this topic which ought to be
Which actors do you like so much, you'll see them in every film regardless of how bad the film is?

For me that list would include the following:
Julianne Moore
Jessica Lange
Matt Bomer
Helen Mirren
Robert DeNiro
Michelle Pfeiffer
Farley Granger
Kate Blanchett
Jack Nicholson
Tilda Swinton
Godzilla :lol:

and Directors whose films that I will watch, even their "failures:"
Alfred Hitchcock
Guillermo Del Torro
Orson Welles
James Whale
Woody Allen
the Wachowski siblings

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
AnthonyClarke said:
Dare i mention the name Kiera Knightley?I had to re-edit my copy of Love Actually to remove all her scenes! Can't stand her ...And my wife won't watch anything with Clark Gable or Spencer Tracy ... except Bad Day at Black Rock. I don't mind the latter actually; he was excellent in Capains Courageous!
I did not expect to see Clark and specially Spencer in this thread. Kind of shocking to me.
Stephen Brooks said:
Second question: how many people, such as myself, don't agree with ANY of the other posts in this topic? Just goes to show the variety of preference :)
I find myself disagreeing with most of the posts. I will admit I generally don't get the humor of Sandler or Ferrel.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I don't skip films because I dislike a particular actor or actress, but I have to be quite heavily persuaded, or tempted by the rest of the cast, to see something with Jennifer Aniston in it.
I have been known to watch films because of particular actors, though, like Tilda Swinton, who can do nothing wrong. I'd watch her read the phone book ;)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I won't watch or in any contribute to anything that involves Woody Allen or Roman Polansky. Matthew Broderick and Ben Affleck are inoffensive empty suits, Renee Zellweger an empty dress.

Who will I watch in most anything? Well, Sean Connery, John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Burt Lancaster, Pierce Brosnan (except, of course, Ghost Writer because of the Polansky connection), Tom Selleck, most Bruce Willis, Kathleen Turner, Jodie Foster, Holly Hunter, Jack Lemmon, James Garner, David Janssen. The recent flood of male models don't interest me.

Oh yes, Roman Polansky can take himself off the "won't" list by coming home and facing the music for what he did. Then I'll buy the Blu of Chinatown and maybe, after I watch it on a rental, Ghost Writer.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am not a fan of several of the comics already mentioned (Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Jack Black). I don't have to make much of an effort to avoid their films because of their presence, because they don't tend to make movies that interest me.I found some of these people funny on TV in short sketches, but don't think they are interesting enough for full length feature films. You can also add Chevy Chase and Mike Myers to the list for the same reason. And Martin Lawrence.

I've never cared much for Bill Paxton, who I find simply boring and lifeless ("Are you ready to return to Titanic, Rose?"). That said, I thought he was hilarious on Agents of Shield.

The one actor I have tended to avoid most, and I hesitate to say it is...Robin Williams. I have never found his rapid fire stream of consciousness/guy on speed delivery funny. He is so unfunny to me he is anti-funny. That said, I have enjoyed him in a few movies in which he played a character written by somebody else, such as The World According to Garp and Moscow on the Hudson. But in the roles where he simply took over and started doing his comedy schtick, I was bored (except for Aladdin). I was still shocked and saddened to hear of his death even though I was not a fan.

From the golden age of Hollywood, I was never a fan of Shelly Winters, who seemed to always play unintelligent slatternly types; but she is in a lot of good films nonetheless.

I don't think there are any actors or directors I avoid because of their personal beliefs, which do not interest me.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I would't go so far to say that I can't stand someone in general.

There was just one movie I didn't go to see:
War Of The Worlds
Just because of Tom Cruise's behaviour during the time before the movie came to the theatres. I watched it later on DVD and liked it, but not enough to buy it. ;)
Otherwise I think Cruise is a fairly good actor.

--

The other question, which actors I like so much I would go see almost every film, well there are some.
It's more a list of actors and actresses wich I favour ;) but here is an excerpt:
actresses:
Katharine Hepburn / Michelle Pfeiffer / Natalie Portman / Scarlett Johansson / Keira Knightley
actors:
Steve McQueen / John Wayne / Bruce Willis / Clint Eastwood / Humphrey Bogart

and many more

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
jcroy said:
Some "giants" which are famous in a particular niche, sound like complete douchbags in their personal lives. One notorious example is Sir Isaac Newton.
What's with all the Newton-bashing going on around here? Why, if it wasn't for Sir Isaac's discovery of gravity, we'd all be floating around in the air, vainly grabbing for the nearest weather vane or TV antenna to hold onto. I mean, he wasn't even credited on that movie with Clooney and Bullock and Cuaron didn't even bother to thank him at the Oscars. Would they even have had a movie without him? :eek:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For me, it is mostly actors/actresses that are using their "star power" to force their political views off screen. Those are the ones that I refuse to show any monetary support.I wish they would stick to doing what they are paid to do (act) and leave the politics out. For fear of causing back-lash I wont mention any names.

As for simply someone I can't stand to see in a movie, I can think of two off the top of my head.

One is Christen Stewart. I have no idea how she ended up being cast. She has one facial expression, not very attractive (to me anyway) and doesn't seem to even appreciate the opportunities she has been given. Plus, she always looks like she need a shower. I swear I can smell her when I see her on TV. :)

The other is Melissa McCarthy. She Is such an over-the-top buffoon in the clips/trailers for her latest movies. I just don't get the appeal. I don't care for brash people and she seems to gravitate to those roles. To make matters worse (for me) is that I liked her playing Molly on Mike and Molly until the last season. It seems once she got some press for her character in Brides Maids, they turned her Molly character much more brash, selfish and she did much more physical comedy (a-la Chevy Chase)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Vic Pardo said:
What's with all the Newton-bashing going on around here? Why, if it wasn't for Sir Isaac's discovery of gravity, we'd all be floating around in the air, vainly grabbing for the nearest weather vane or TV antenna to hold onto. I mean, he wasn't even credited on that movie with Clooney and Bullock and Cuaron didn't even bother to thank him at the Oscars. Would they even have had a movie without him? :eek:
Or a John Maher hit song...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Vic Pardo said:
I was told that same old lie in school, too. Now there's evidence that the Vikings discovered gravity centuries before Newton.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Like Scott-S, I'm annoyed or irritated by actor/actresses who use their celebrity to promote some, usually ill-informed, political view, but that's usually not enough for me to avoid their movies, altogether.

As far as many of the comedians mentioned, I tend to avoid their movies (Sandler, Ferrell, Carrey) but don't dislike them. I just think (like Murphy), they can put out quality, but they need to be reigned in. Too often they seem to be given free hand and they end up pushing a joke too hard and too long.

This discussion got me to thinking of actors that I used to try to avoid, but have come to appreciate them. I hated Nicholas Cage, until The Rock, then I've come to like him. Bill Paxton - not sure when I started liking him but he's done some good work.

Actors that I'll go through a lot to watch? For the longest time it was Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks (and I remember thinking when I first watched, Bachelor Party that he was doing a bad impression of Bill Murray). Don't know that I can say that anymore, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I've seen of theirs that I hate....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
An actor who fits what you're asking for me is Matthew Broderick. He annoys the heck out of me (I think it might just be residual hatred of the insufferable, inexplicably popular Ferris Bueller character). But I have to answer the question with no, I don't avoid movies due to individuals -- my favorite movie of all time is Glory. (Go figure!)

However, lately I find myself changing the channel when I hear Pink Floyd on the radio, due to some of the horrifyingly offensive things Roger Waters has said lately (too political to get into here). And this is painful, because in my younger years I was very much into them -- Wish You Were Here is a truly important piece of music for me.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aaron Silverman said:
However, lately I find myself changing the channel when I hear Pink Floyd on the radio, due to some of the horrifyingly offensive things Roger Waters has said lately (too political to get into here). And this is painful, because in my younger years I was very much into them -- Wish You Were Here is a truly important piece of music for me.
I used to be into Madonna but nowadays it seems only toyboys are into her. :D

That's my Carry On Screaming ( at my jokes ) sense of humour.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Politics and moral (according to whom?) behavior have never entered the equation of whether I like or dislike a performer.
An actor is an actor; a director is a director, etc.; and they are all imperfect human beings. It's their artistic worth and contributions to whichever art they're involved in that should be discussed.
However, I will say I can't stand June Allyson in anything, worse when paired with Van Johnson. And she ruined so many good James Stewart movies for me.
I dislike Kathryn Grayson's voice. In that voice category, I much prefer Deanna Durbin.
Most of today's comics can go in the dustbin, along with (sacrilege!) the 3 Stooges, Jerry Lewis, and a few others whose antics leave me stone-faced while the audience around me roars with laughter.
To each his own.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Aaron Silverman said:
An actor who fits what you're asking for me is Matthew Broderick. He annoys the heck out of me (I think it might just be residual hatred of the insufferable, inexplicably popular Ferris Bueller character). But I have to answer the question with no, I don't avoid movies due to individuals -- my favorite movie of all time is Glory. (Go figure!)

GLORY is one of my faves also, and a great part of that is due to Broderick's incredibly mature and moving performance. The way he looked as he sat upon his horse looking toward the sea and sea birds, knowing he was about to die, was heartbreaking. Quite a contrast to FERRIS BUELLER and LADYHAWKE.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
bujaki said:
Politics and moral (according to whom?) behavior have never entered the equation of whether I like or dislike a performer.
An actor is an actor; a director is a director, etc.; and they are all imperfect human beings. It's their artistic worth and contributions to whichever art they're involved in that should be discussed.
However, I will say I can't stand June Allyson in anything, worse when paired with Van Johnson. And she ruined so many good James Stewart movies for me.
I dislike Kathryn Grayson's voice. In that voice category, I much prefer Deanna Durbin.
Most of today's comics can go in the dustbin, along with (sacrilege!) the 3 Stooges, Jerry Lewis, and a few others whose antics leave me stone-faced while the audience around me roars with laughter.
To each his own.
Exactly, to each his own, but I have to say, that I am not taking a side either way, but this made me roar with laughter. :lol:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Owen Wilson- Every movie I try to watch with him in I find myself staring at his nose. With all the money he has, can't he get that thing fixed?Will FerrellMatt DamonGeorge Clooney

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
greg.shoemaker said:
Jim Carrey? My first encounter with his comedic skills was in a movie that included his famous “talking butt” shtick. Thus ended any further video contact with the actor(?).
I agree with you. He sucks big time as an actor. Kevin Costner and John Wayne are other pet hates.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Usually try to avoid comedies where the main actor is expected to just be "funny" - witch usually involves many add lib lines that somehow make the picture - for some reason I don't seem to find them to be funny and use these actors as a reason to avoid wasting my time and money on them - these include:

Will Ferrell
Adam Sandler
Jim Carrey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks