What's new

Anyone else think what Favre did was freakin' WEAK? (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The only kind of football fan I dislike are those who (for example) were born and raised in Boston, yet profess to be diehard Cowboys fans. To me, that just smacks of "jumping on the bandwagon" of whichever team happens to be doing well at that time.
OK, I dislike everything related to the Dallas Cowboys. You got me!
There's two things we agree on. :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it was such a "gimme".

It has already been mentioned that he did beat his man in order to get to Favre.

As far a Favre going down easy, scoreboard wise the game was over and Favre has to play next week, no reason to risk injury.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying that I'm definitely correct, but I've been watching NFL football for 20 years now. What Favre did yesterday was undoubtedly a GIFT. He audibled OUT of a running play (the Packers were up by more than 9 with less than 3 minutes to go) and then WALKED over to Strahan and flopped down.

One report I read (I believe it was on Yahoo!) stated that Favre yelled OVER his line to tell Strahan to stay put. This comes from Favre's own teammates!

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Strahan did appear to beat Franks cleanly so I think that part of the play was legit. However, Favre ("Fah-vah-ray") is known as being a tough competitor. I have never seen him slide behind the line of scrimmage! Maybe after running for a few yards to avoid being smacked by a LB, but not in the backfield! It has every appearance of being a gimme. Too bad because Strahan deserves better. Most likely he would have sacked him even if Favre hadn't turtled!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Everybody seems to think Strahan beat Franks clean, but it looked to me like Franks did a little "pattycake" and then stepped out of the way.

It looked like a total setup to me, but I'm ambivalent whether it's a good or bad thing.

Rob

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
I believe there is little doubt it was in fact a "gimme". He talked to Strahan before and after the play. There was no reason for them to even pass that late in the game. The blocking was "relaxed" to say the least,and Favre and Strahan are friends. All signs point to a "foul" play.

The question is whether that was wrong. Favre has proved again and again he is the ultimate competitor, so he is obviously not a "cheat". ESPN reported that when asked about the play, the Packers offensive linemen said it was "just Favre being Favre", so if they don't mind, why should we? Is it the dramatic Cinderella story ending we all wanted? No. Did Strahan want it that way? Probably not, but that's the way it happened.

And let's face it, it ain't exactly breaking Maris's record?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
And let's face it, it ain't exactly breaking Maris's record?
One of the things I noticed was that the sack record only goes back to 1982. Apparently the NFL didn't keep those stats prior to that, so I'm sure there are old defensive players who feel the "new" record is not legitimate.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Big time Packers and Favre fan here, and I feel that that was utterly disgusting what transpired on that play! :angry: Whether it happens all the time or not is completely irrevelent! To break a record should be something that is earned, not given. Favre should know better being the competitor that he is. I have lost respect for the sportsmanship of Favre. To me, Strahan was not going to get that record, and should not have gotten because he didn't EARN it, but I blame Favre more. Like a previous poster stated I have NEVER seen Favre sit down behind the line like that.
Maybe the players feel that the record was broken, but to myself, I don't think it was. And I hope that I never see something like that again, especially from my boy Favre.
Anyways, Go Pack.....

Dan B

Screenwriter
Hmm, I dunno...I honestly didn't think he fell down on purpose to let Strahan get the record. I think he just fell down. I'm sure we'll hear more from Favre today...I would expect him to tell the truth one way or the other.
GO PACK!
-Dan B.

Jin E

Second Unit
Like a previous poster stated I have NEVER seen Favre sit down behind the line like that.
Did you want Favrerve to stand up and take one on the chin? The game was pretty much over... and Frvere is not dumb and is not going to risk injury by getting smacked in the face at the end of a game.

BTW.. I think i twas set up too.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
From ESPN's Len Pasquarelli:
"Funny that a league that fines players for wearing their socks too low or their pants too high, that sanctions the overemotional and immature for taunting and that holds sacrosanct most of its high-profile accomplishments, offers no criticism on this incident. One day after Brett Favre conspired to ensure that New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan collect the one sack he needed to nudge Mark Gastineau from the record book, there was no call for an investigation."
"By in essence orchestrating Strahan's final sack of the season, the one that lifted his total to 22½ -- one-half more quarterback carcass than Gastineau claimed in 1984 -- Favre and anyone else who was in on the charade cheapened the feat itself. That is not a slap at Favre, one of the few veterans of galactic stature in the NFL who still actually has fun playing the game and remains the league's most sellable commodity, because he desperately wanted good buddy Strahan to have the record."
"And what of the talking heads who reacted with emotion to the feat? Cris Collinsworth called it a "magical" moment. How about tragical, Cris? Terry Bradshaw, we think lucidly, spoke of having "chills up and down his spine." Well, they must have come from a flashback of the time Cleveland defensive lineman Turkey Jones spiked Bradshaw head-first into the turf. It was a fraud, guys, and the only bigger crime perpetrated than the act itself was that so few took the time to criticize it."
A could not agree with Len more strongly. There's a lot more to this article, which you can read here.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I dunno. One one hand, it looked pretty damn lame. On the other hand, I can't imagine anyone willingly put themselves in the way of a hulk like Strahan. :)
-Dave

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, you're dedicated to this, I'll give you that. :)
First of all, an ESPN personality bad-mouthing FOX correspondents, go on!!! It's a stupid record that will most likely be broken in 10 years anyway.
It wasn't McGwire chasing Maris. The "single season sack record" didn't capture the eyes of the world. It wasn't on the front of every newspaper throughout November and December. Nobody woke up every Monday morning and turned on the television in the hopes of hearing about Strahan coming closer and closer to football immortality. People didn't count down week by week. They didn't meet at watercoolers and say to each other, "Hey, Jason, only 10.5 sacks left and he's got the record!" No, and why not? Because it's meaningless record. They come and they go. One day Strahan will be fake smiling as he watches someone break his by .5.
That's the nature of sports.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I see where you're coming from, Jason, but I don't think the "popularity" of the record should really enter into it. To me, it's simply about integrity. Several other players came REAL close to breaking this record in the past, yet they couldn't. If any of those previous players had been GIVEN a free sack or two, Strahan wouldn't have broken the record.
Which is why I think it's important for records to be earned. It's like when Charles Comiskey says to pitcher Eddie Cicotte in my all-time favorite baseball flick, Eight Men Out, "29...is not 30, Eddie."
Of course I realize that all my griping doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but I really do love the NFL, and although this seems like a minor thing to many people, I think it's just pathetic. Although my love for the game makes it impossible for me to DESPISE Brett Favre, I have certainly lost a lot of respect for him. (I'm sure he's heartbroken about it, too :b )

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
There was no fix on the play. Any careful observer would have noted Favre drinking brandy sours in the huddle all afternoon (like any good Wisconsinite at Lambeau would do).
On the play in question, Favre simply staggered around in the manner of a sloppy drunk. Strahan was still sober enough to cover him (and, from one reply angle anyway, he had time to share a quick whiskey and Coke with Favre before starting his sack record celebration).
Typical Wisconsin play. ;)

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I am in total agreement with you. This happening has done nothing but to cheapen it for me atleast. As I stated before, this should have been earned but instead was given, and it is disappointing to see it like that.

Favre, in my eyes, is still the best and a true competitor which is why I have trouble with this whole thing. He should know better than anyone that earning your place in history is better than being given it--right?

I had to edit this post because I wanted to add that this also cheats the performance of Mark Taucher, who kept Strahan at bay all damn day. That in itself is quite a feat.

Matt

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Hey gang. Another local Packer fan here. When the play happened, I looked at my Dad and laughed. I mean, Favre himself was chuckling away after he hugged Strahan. The local newspaper www.jsonline.com has a bunch of commentary. Perhaps we need to consult NBA coach Phil Jackson and have him put an asterisk on the record, just like he did when the Spurs won the NBA title in the shortened season.;)
I do feel bad for the Packer's O-Line though. They really played Strahan well, and kept him away from Favre all day.
I just hope Favre got it out of his system and gets ready to play at home Sunday against the 49er's.
Go Pack!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks