1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else think what Favre did was freakin' WEAK?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm too sleepy to rehash the whole thing, and I'm sure that you NFL fans know what I'm referring to. Up until today, I've always seen Brett Favre as a great QB and a class act.
    I still think he's a great QB.
    Forgive me for seeming dramatic, but the last time I checked...it was WRONG to "fix" any play in professional sports. To just GIVE someone a 17-year old record just reeks of something bad.
    Opposing viewpoints are welcome, of course, and I hope everyone enjoys the playoffs next week. Go Eagles.
    [​IMG]

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I don't really follow football (or any sport, for that matter), but you've got me curious. What did he do? Did he purposely blow a play so that a player on the opposing team could break a record of some sort?

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yeah, that looked fixed!

FYI... at the last of the game, Farve went back to pass and just kinda folded down smoothly and his buddy (forget name) on the other team just got on the ground and kinda hugged him. That gave him the 1 that broke the sack record. For stats that was a sack but it certainly was a gimme play.

This kind of crap takes away from the efforts of most of the other player who apparently have to EARN theirs....

That play sucks.........

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It was really bush-league of Favre to do that. I can't imagine a true champion such as Clemens or Jordan intentionally giving someone a record. While Strahan may now officially have the sack record, I don't think he'll cherish it as much as if he had truly earned it.

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Well, it certainly looked like it was set up. But fellows, don't be so naive, it happens alot in sports. No big deal in the overall scheme of things methinks.[​IMG]

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I did not watch any of the highlights last night, so I missed the Favre - Strahan play. It's too bad, because that does taint Strahan's record. If he couldn't earn the record on his own, it should not have been handed to him by Favre.

7. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

I didn't think it was a big deal at all. Strahan threw his blocker legitimately (I think Bubba Franks was on him?), and was in Favre's face pretty quick. Favre *did* have a chance to escape, but he might not have even if he tried. So it was a bit of a gimmie but it wasn't that bad.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't like the packers.

8. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

So Favre gave his buddy a gimme? So what. Stuff like that happens all the time in sports. Ripken Jr. hit a home run off a "gimme" pitch in the all-star game last season, and no one really cared or even remembers.
    We'd all like to think of sports as some kind of pure and holy institution where athletes go out onto the field, give 110% all the time, never bring anything but their absolute best, and play simply for the love of the game, but it ain't like that.
    Ask Randy Moss.[​IMG]

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Put an asterisk next to it.

Like the "gator laydown" (and also another, recent college women's basketball record...?) , this'll be remembered. And not in a good way.

Records are only meaningful if they're made in competitive circumstances. "Gimmes" are unsportsmanlike. They dishonor the league, the previous record-holder, and the new, so-called "record-holder".

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Actually, I disagree. Gimme's are VERY sportsmanlike. It shows the level of respect between the players on opposing teams.

11. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

It was kinda lame, but it pails in comparison to the regular fixes that occurs in the NFL.

I don't watch the NFL anymore because I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

12. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Think you are confusing NFL and XFL.

13. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I think it was a half gimme. Favre audibled a play to Strahan's side of the field knowing it would give him a chance. Then Frank got beat by Strahan and Favre laid down partly because he had nowhere to go, no reason to risk getting hit hard and didn't really mind his friend getting the record.

It isn't a big deal in my opinion.

14. Scott Weinberg

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

17. Scott Weinberg

18. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor