What's new

Anyone else think Superbit is the start of the future for DVD? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Just to try to clarify some thoughts on the layer change issues with FMD. These are not reflective discs, like DVD. They are transparent, with the information existing in staggered "layers" that are only read when the optical laser passes through them. There would be no pause. If, in fact, pausing would be a problem, a buffering system has already been developed that would result in seamless playback.

today NASDAQ just informed them that they are going to be delisted
Ouch. That is a bad break...but, hopefully, not a deal breaker. FMD has alot of promise and "shouldn't" have trouble finding private funding.

Bruce

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
It's bad enough having to explain a single layer change to everyone who watches a movie at my house. I can't wait to explain them every 3 minutes throughout the movie...
Not to get too far off-topic here, but I am the only one that experiences NO noticeable layer change pause on 95% of my discs and only a fraction of a second pause on the other 5%? (let's say 290 v. 10)

Running a Sony 7000...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
"I am the only one that experiences NO noticeable layer change pause on 95% of my discs and only a fraction of a second pause on the other 5%? (let's say 290 v. 10)

Running a Sony 7000..."

I have a Pansonic RV80 and have been very happy with it. However, layer changes are quite noticable as they last near a full second (I would estimate) on most discs.

All in all, it would be nice not to notice any delay, but it's not a huge issue with me - it's just interesting how some players are better than others at layer changes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, FMD is amazing technology and I hopethey pull out. I don't think that it will be chosen for HD-DVD unless one of the majors buys it however.

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I personally don't think that the Superbit titles are state-of-the-art. however, I do believe that we as the consumer should get the best that a medium has to offer. And with the superbit titles, I can tell a great difference on my 4:3 projector via component inputs, compared to the regular editions.I don't think that all of CTS dvds should be the only excuse to include dts. I do think that CTS should include a extra features disc for those who want those features. I don't need them. The only additional feature that I want on all of my discs are just a trailer of the movie.

I await for more titles in the SB version of the films, but I wish that CTS would release them more frequently, and more up-to-date films. What I would really like is a Superbit version of "The 6th Day". Oh well, it looks like I have to settle for the one that I already purchased.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
I, for one, love the superbits collection so far. 'Fifth Element', 'Desperado', and 'Gattaca' are definitely improved over the previous releases. While one could argue that the improvements are minor, on a high resolution system they are definitely noticeable (and in this hobby getting that last bit of performance is a bit of an obsession, no?). I almost never watch the extras, nor does anyone I know, preferring instead to view the movie itself in its best possible presentation. I disagree with the posters who see a cause/effect relationship between amount of extras and quanitity sold - there is derfinitely a correlation, yet this is a result of studios paying more attention to discs that they know will sell. I mean, how many people would not have bought Shrek if it only had a few extras? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Not to get too far off-topic here, but I am the only one that experiences NO noticeable layer change pause on 95% of my discs and only a fraction of a second pause on the other 5%? (let's say 290 v. 10)
For me, it's not so much the pauses that bother me as it the audio drop out that occurs during layer changes.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
It's bad enough having to explain a single layer change to everyone who watches a movie at my house. I can't wait to explain them every 3 minutes throughout the movie...
Future discs with multiple layers will of course "read ahead", so that you will not notice layer changes. I still don't understand why the majority of current DVD players don't do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks