Anyone else think Superbit is the start of the future for DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Kim, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Hi!

The way things are shaping up, I think the Superbit collection by CTHV will start the trend for the future of DVD. You have people who complain about supplements being fluff, people complaining about movie being spread across two discs to include supplements, and it seems like the novelty of supplements are starting to wear off with the general public. Not to mention the trend and pressure for studios now to pay for director/actor/writer involvement and guild fees, etc...

I think the super duper special editions are still going to be released and all for special titles, but I think in the future people and studios will just settle for great picture and sound.

I remember the video/audiophiles who complained about multiple releases, supplements, and elaborate packaging as unnecessary. I disagreed with them because the novelty of getting as much as you can out of a movie was exciting...but now I realize, it all boils down to the actual movie itself and getting great picture and sound.

What is everyone else's opinion?

Andy

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Nope, the sound and video aren't appriciably better on the Superbits for the most part. Gattaca and Bram Stoker's Dracula both need 2 disc editions, as well as Fifth Element (because Besson is a crackhead it hasn't gotten one) so it's more of a gimmick. With Final Fantasy: TSW it NEEDS a Superbit to fix the horriffic artifacting problems

Jeff Kleist

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I also feel this to be more of a gimmick

than anything that is going to revolutionize

the industry.

I mean, take a look at ANY of the new DVDs

recently released by FOX and DREAMWORKS not

to mention UNIVERSAL's "The Fast & The Furious".

These DVDs look incredible and they are done

without any hype about accelerated bitrate.

If Columbia really wants to do us all a favor,

they should release ALL FUTURE MAJOR RELEASES

in Superbits form with a 2nd disc for supplements

if necessary. If priced reasonably, people will

buy it.

4. WilliamJulien

Hopefully it will be a trend for higher PQ. When watching on a 116"x64" it does make a deference and every little BIT [​IMG] helps. However there are other DVDs have as high or higher data rats and equal PQ as Superbits. Fox has a couple with Batman the Movie with an average data rate of 7.79mbps and Moulin Rouge at 7.90
    Some SB numbers
    Air Force One - 7.52mbps
    Dracula - 7.87mbps
    The Fifth Element - 7.39mbps
    Johnny Mnemonic - 8.23mbps
    Do not have CTHG SB or Gattica SB yet.
    Numbers derived from Bit Rate viewerSoftware

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

What are the best selling DVDs of all-time? Shrek, Star Wars I, The Matrix, Gladiator, The Grinch

What do they all have in common? Lots of extras.

Video/audio were one of the selling points for DVD, but since then, its storage capacity has been one of its most beloved features - people dig the extra material. Superbits offer minimal video and audio improvement over their standard releases, kick up the price, and drop all the extras. Only people with $3,000 systems really benefit from the Superbits and it does seem like a gimmick to repackage a movie and just a movie.

Extras aren't going away anytime soon. Just don't see it happening. Superbits was an interesting idea, but not revolutionary at all.

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    The real future of dvd is HD-DVD. DVD players capable of displaying 720p. Joe Kane, and some of the studios feel it's around 5 years away.....

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I like Superbits, but I don't think they're going to last. As mentioned, the video/audio quality isn't THAT much better.

As for myself, buying a disc that has 3-5% better video/audio (than the standard version) is well worth it; but I know I'm a minority in this regard.

8. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Superbits are overrated.

Image's Chaplin DVD's have bitrates nearly always above 8.5 and frequently in the 9.0's. (Even many times going to 10 MBS!) This is a MONO soundtrack, too!

One of WB's REALLY early DVD's, Arsenic and Old Lace, has a bitrate usually between 4.5 and 6.0 MBS, but it looks nearly flawless!

The DTS "version" on T-2: UE is usually around 7.0, yet it looks and sounds excellent!

Maybe Superbits are great for people who have theater-sized projection screens and 50,000 sound systems, but the comparison pictures I've seen don't show enough improvment for me to buy.

Columbia's picks for Superbit are kind of odd, IMO. I wouldn't pay that much for Johnny Mneomic even if it had Fight Club sized extras.

10. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I would agree with the last point only on the fact that a DVD doesn't necessarily have to have a high bitrate to have a superb video transfer. It's just not necessary. I have single-sided single-layered discs that look wonderful, and fit on just one layer. Obviously, the more space devoted to transfer, the better it should be. But it's not necessary to go to the extreme like Superbits, remove everything else from the disc except audio, to have a great-looking DVD.

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

I remember reading some research about a year
    ago, where the studios learned that adding some
    nice extras to DVD made the difference between
    buying a title and not in many many cases.
    Even "BareBonesParamount" leared the lesson
    and started bragging about how "neat-o"
    Mission Impossible 2 before it hit the
    store shelves.
    Catalog titles still tend to suffer if they
    don't have the "no brainer" supplements that can
    be added these days.
    And MGM appears to be duping a pile of catalog
    titles on to DVD, with a trailer, and if VERY lucky
    a featurette.
    Are they selling? I don't know.
    A "fully loaded" DVD still won't induce me into
    buying a film I thought was utter junk
    (like the new version of The Planet of the Apes),
    But I might be in the minority on that one.
    Mark

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm all for abandoning extras in favor of higher quality, although I don't feel that the Superbits are appreciably better.

I rarely watch any supplemental content anymore - most of it seems like, um, ... promotional fluff.

-Dave

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

"The real future of dvd is HD-DVD. DVD players capable of displaying 720p. Joe Kane, and some of the studios feel it's around 5 years away....."

Steve,

While 240 more lines of resolution would be very nice, wouldn't you expect or hope that it would be more like in the 900s. I mean is 720 vs. 480 lines of resoultion going to be a big enough jump (being able to see a big difference) for the masses to switch over?

14. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I don't think lines of resolution is such a determining factor. Well, not as much as higher bit-rate encoding. The higher you can encode a disc, the better it looks and even a 480 line display will have some awesome picture detail. While HD-DVD is a good concept, I myself hopes the future of home video is the FMD format. Read the Widescreen Review article (two issues ago, I believe)-if half of what FMD is rumored to be is true...it will blow HD-DVD out of the water. Bit rates of 1000 MPS (compared to a maximum of 10 in current DVD specs), almost limitless layers (though engineers are saying 100 as the ideal number), better optical encryption and pick-up...the future is very bright indeed.

As for Superbit titles...well, they are going to have live up to their lofty promises first. There is NO reason to have any left over storage space. Use every single bit of data for video or audio encoding. That's what was promised but not delivered.

Bruce

15. CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho Stunt Coordinator

I hope the next format to NOT be on FMD. That involves more layers than now, and the worst thing about DVD's are the layers.

Now i have two dvd´s (Blade and Bad Boys: Special edition) almost unplayable (blade is unplayable and Bad Boys stops after the layer change). Both discs have no visible damage, i don´t know what happend inside, but i take care of my discs and they are not playing. I hope this will be only a bunch of badmastered discs, but i´m not holding my breath.

(All of you that have blade, play it, put the scene where blade enters on the tomb and he start to bleed, i have now two friends with the same problem)

16. John O

John O Stunt Coordinator

"What are the best selling DVDs of all-time? Shrek, Star Wars I, The Matrix, Gladiator, The Grinch
    What do they all have in common? Lots of extras. "
    While that may be true, let's not forget-They also did over $200 million at the box office. [​IMG]

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Super Bits is a bone that's been thrown to the dogs (us). The improvements are in the few % range because there is noplace left to go with the DVD format. Already, DVD technology is very near it's limits. What's left to improve, scaling? Given that the HDTV era is here, granted in it's infancy, DVD is the VHS of HDTV.
    It's my belief that the whole DVD format was hatched with slowing down HDTV in mind. If people went for DVD and were satisfied with it, maybe HDTV could be staved off longer. Warner executives must have been thinking along these lines back in '95, say...?
    I bought a few Super Bits and they're no slouches. But, they're just DVDs. They're hardly super. They don't look better than discs like THE GREEN MILE or THE PLEDGE, to me.
    I don't have an outside HDTV source presently. It's kind of sad to have to say this, but the very best looking home video in my collection is'nt even a DVD. Several of my Muse LD's well exceed any DVDs. DVD technology was short-changed for a reason.
    I'm slowing down on my DVD purchases. I don't want a better DVD. I want a better format. As good as the DVD format is, it's an outstanding example of planned obsolescence. I want something that will really light a fire under my HDTV monitor. I did buy it with hi-def in mind...sigh....

18. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I agree that Superbits are good "1st discs" of 2-disc sets, but they are less more than that. I'm holding out for Special Editions of Dracula, Starship Troopers and 5th Element...

19. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

The key with FMD was that they would have more than one laser in the system to increase the output bandwidth. They may stagger them so there would be no transition pauses. I'm a big fan of the technology, but unfortunately today NASDAQ just informed them that they are going to be delisted. That's not going to help them at all.

20. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter