Anyone else think Monster is the Bose of cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy_M, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I just replaced a $95 Monster component video cable with a $12.99 GE from Target, and guess what? My crappy picture problem disappeared!

Same type of thing happened with my expensive Monster subwoofer cable - all kinds of short circuit humming if the cable was moved just slightly - replaced with an inexpensive one from Radio Shack, and what I thought was a problem with my Velodyne evaporated.

Big money for junky product, IMHO.

Anyone?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if your cable was new and you had these problems, i'd bring it back for replacement. if old...well, maybe it became damaged or just maybe your connections needed some attention. all it takes is a bad experience and it sours one on a vendor. monster is quite successful in marketing their product and with that comes a commensurate price the consumer pays in overhead. lots of other vendors would love to be in their position.

3. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    You know, in those old Universal horror films from the 1930s, people used to RUN from monsters.
    Do you think they knew something that today's "audiophiles" don't?
    [​IMG]

4. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

My roommate was a huge Monster fan until I mentioned one day that their business model is essentially the same as Bose (pretty exterior turns otherwise ordinary equipment into an expensive item) and he converted on the spot.

(It also helped that I showed him some 16ga Monster speaker wire that was the same price as 12ga generic...)

5. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Randy, sorry to hear about your bad experiences with their cables. They come with a lifetime warranty and you should try to send them back for replacement.

Although from a marketing standpoint only, one could compare them to Bose (they are ubiquitous and very commercialized, plus they come up with lots of techno babble for new patented technologies that should revolutionize the industry), but from a performance standpoint that comparison is unfair. Unlike Bose, they are decent cables that span from consumer to true audiophile quality. They are often debated and some have had bad experiences with their products, but I find their quality to be on par with many other good cable manufacturers. This is of course only my opinion. I just wish other cable manufacturers would be more prevalent and provide greater competition.

6. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for', and for my money I will always buy a high quality interconnect, wether it be Monster, BetterCable, or Viper . When I finally up graded the interconnect from my 5 year old cd player from Radio Shack to Monster Cable it was like I had bought a new player. I had to adjust the bass settings on my amp, I'll say the same for s-video also.

For speaker wire there are cheaper, better alternatives, but if you plan on running in-wall check local codes, not all wire can be used this way. Again Monster makes wires that do meet most of these regs. But for short runs I'd got with a high quality 12ga. wire.

7. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    All I can say is that they totally failed on two occasions (the component video and subwoofer cables). I just finished watching The Time Machine (1960) on my RP91 and Toshiba 50H81 and the picture was back to phenominal...I'll tell you, I was ready to take the DVD player in for repairs (had my receipt out and everything), when I thought I'd just try the cable; and voila, back to beautiful.

Sure the cables had been connected several times (maybe 7 or 8 times disconnected and reconnected), but I certainly didn't run them over with a chair wheel. I treat all my equipment very gingerly.

As the old saying goes, once bitten twice shy. I have nothing against paying a fair price for a superior product, I just don't think Monster is it.

I may look into trying Better Cables; after all an HTF sponsor must be good, right?

Cheers

8. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Randy, that's too bad about the Monster cables. I don't blame you for avoiding them after your experiences. Go with the BetterCables, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them.

9. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Monster's M950 and M1000i are the only interconnects I would consider in there line. The rest is good but you can do alot better with others, Audioquest, Wireworld, MIT, Kimber Kable to name a few.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Monster is heavily marketed like Bose, but they do not equate in terms of quality. Monster is not the best cable out there, certainly, but their products are not pure crap like Bose.

What bothers me is how many quality dealers carry nothing but Monster cables. Tweeter isn't exactly high-end, but they sell some quality gear and only have Monster cables. I suppose the other companies out there won't mass-produce their cables to satisfy Tweeter's needs. Maybe Tweeter isn't the best example, but I still don't like the fact that they only carry Monster cables.

Harvey Electronics in New Jersey, New York City, and Connecticut only has Monster cables. Harvey sells Sony ES, Marantz, Adcom, Krell, McIntosh, Energy, Sonus Faber, and many other good brands, yet they only have Monster cables. A salesman there once told me, "We are practically in bed with Monster." I hate that.

11. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

I had the same monster component interconnect that you had a problem with. In a direct A-B comparison between that set of component cables and a set of Audioquest YIQ-2 component cables ($200+) there was NO detectable difference. Both sets of cables were of the shortest length available, and the review system consisted of a Pioneer SD-532HD5 53" DTV fed by a Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player.

Now, don't take the conclusion from above to mean I have some kind of pro Monster Cable bias- far from it. I just want a good cable thats does the job well. In this case, the Monster did just that. And it cost a lot less than the Audioquest, which really are IMO still awesome cables, even if overpriced. Recently I have also put to use some interconnects by Acoustic Research that do the job just as well as any cables I have ever had in my system. And they don't cost all that much! I am starting to learn that the performance difference between cables like Audioquest and Monster, and now Acoustic Research, does not always justify dis-proportionate prices.

Just some of my 2 cents

Andrew Ballew

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

13. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

I have always like the build quality of Monster Cable.

If I were having a problem I would have returned the cable.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, I like the build quality of Monster cables in comparison to Radio Shack Gold Series RCA interconnects. I've found that the RCA connectors on the Radio Shack cables are not made to a consistent size, so some cables go on and come off very easily, but others are nearly impossible to deal with. In the latter case, the dimpled RCA connectors can really dig into your fingers. By contrast, I've found that Monster cables show much better quality control. However, the turbine connectors on Monster cables can be tight on some components and can scratch the RCA jacks on components too. I recently replaced some Monster Interlink 400mkII interconnects with Audioquest Diamondbacks in my main stereo system, and the Audioquest cables go on and come off very easiliy and do not scratch RCA jacks. I also found that the Diamondbacks sound better than the Monster cables.

15. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Sankar said:

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Randy: is there a reason why you've not sought replacement under Monster's warranty? Their number, 877/800-8989, should perhaps be able to guide you as to the recourse available to you. I don't know what the situation is if you don't have your sales receipt though. Certainly a central location for keeping ones sales receipts ought to be listed as an important 'tweak'.

18. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Chu,

I certainly keep receipts of all electronics and machines. Guess I should have known better than to discard the ones for the cables, but you can't keep everything.....(well, maybe you can, but that's another story)

Shouldn't really matter if I have the receipt or not, if there's a lifetime warranty it's irrelevant when you bought it...perhaps I'll look into contacting the company. Thanks.

19. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I use a mix of Monster mid line cables (M550 series) and CatCables with a couple BetterCables TosLink cables. I haven't had any problems with any of them. When i first got into HT 3 1/2 years ago, i had some bottom line Monster cables that had the death grip so, i stay with the mid line. I don't pay retail for Monster Cables so, it's not such a hit.

20. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Found my receipt for the Video cable (fortunately I purchased it along with some hardware, so kept the receipt). Dropped by the local Audio King where I bought it about 4 years ago (Audio King is the same as Ultimate Electronics), along with the cable and receipt.
    I was totally floored when the guy ran right over to the display and grabbed me a new one without hesitation! I guess they do stand behind their products. Of course, it helps that the sales guys recognize me from all the equipment I've bought there...(maybe I should be worried about that [​IMG] ).
    I wonder if another retailer would have been as cooperative..anyway, I'm the happy owner of a new black Monster component video cable.
    The guy did mention that there have been a lot of returns of various incarnations of the white colored cables like I had, so everyone check theirs...
    Cheers