Anyone else think amnesia could be good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy_Watson, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,
    As I was watching Fight Club last night a thought occured to me, "If I got amnesia, I could go back and watch all of these movies like it was the first time again." For anyone who hasn't seen the movie I won't give it away, but now when I watch the movie I am just little for more little clues I've missed. Then I starting thinking of other movies amnesia would be good for: Usual Suspects, Se7en, and so many others came to mind.
    So, does anyone else think they may enjoy amnesia just for the movie effect? If so, what movies would you want to go back and watch? And please use the spoiler tag if you're going to give something away, I know I wouldn't want to hear any surprises before I saw the movie.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

There was an interesting story about that in "Analog" a few months ago - theaters began offering a service that would let you block previous viewings, pre-release hype, or anything else you might have known about a movie from your brain. Of course, it had some drawbacks, too...

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Just wait until you're older. It'll happen automatically.

Jan

Who used to know who Rosebud was

4. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

Duh, forgot the Sixth Sense. Any other good ones you can think of?

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I guess there could be something in the "thrill" of seeing something for the first time. But, for me, I get alot more pleasure out of films because the ones that are rewatchable tend to get better with each subsequent viewing. You gain appreciation for the quirks, the moments, the details that you might have missed the first time around. I just love the feeling of anticipating a scene and that doesn't really happen with an unseen film. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to try it once [​IMG]
    Bruce

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Can't tell you when it was first said, about which book, but a reader told the author that he wished he'd never read the book in question. The author was chagrined. But then the reader said, it was because "I'll never have the pleasure of reading that book for the first time again".

Droll

7. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

I know it doesn't have a twist ending like Se7en or Usual Suspects, but I've always wanted to be able to see my favorite film Breaking the Waves again for the first time.
    There can be problems with this, though: Would you know that it's a film you like? If you enjoyed it so much that you want to forget so you can experience it for the first time again, wouldn't you assume that it's a great film that you'll love for sure? And if you're positive beyond the shadow of a doubt that you'll love it, won't you're expectations be too high? And you'll only end up disappointed?

8. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I can suggest a few illegal substances that'll do the trick! [​IMG]

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

There are some movies that it would work well for. I don't consider Fight Club to be one of them. It cheats too much[​IMG]