What's new

Anyone else really hate Valentines Day? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I never said I wasn't in a relationship, I just said it's nauseating to those who aren't.

I am in a great relationship and BOTH of us absolutely LOATHE (is that better than hate?) Valentines Day. We do everything we can to avoid the holiday and not publically celebrate our "love" or feel bullied into celebrating it on that day because it's a vial holiday and has no place mixed in with "real" love.

Real love doesn't NEED a holiday to celebrate it...You want bitter? Valentines Day is a loathsome subject for me because of the crap it spews.

Anyone who knows "Real" love will agree that Valentines Day is the FARTHEST thing from any resemblance of love.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
What about those who don't envy others?

My lothing of V-Day is out of compassion for those who don't have anyone. Those are the ones who get crapped on.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think there are too many much more more important things to loathe than Valentine's Day, which is a completely voluntary, nonviolent, utterly peaceful expression of a wonderful emotion. Seems like rather wasted energy to me.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Mark, maybe you missed my first post in this thread.
Please! We were all single once. I never felt crapped on. It sounds to me like there are other issues that need to be addressed if that is how a person feels.

You never really answered my question, but I really didn't expect you to. Keep on hating. I'm sure that some good will come of it... Hate is such a healthy thing after all. :rolleyes

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

But let's not discount that many people choose to be UNinvolved.

I think it is perfectly normal to be "alone". It should not be a societal "stigma" or situation for pity.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Man, I never realized their were so many of us around here! ;)

Zen,
loved your post, I wish that I could find humor in this ritual as you have. And hell yes, I feel the same way about not letting society tell me what's "normal" for me, if I want to remain single than to hell with what anyone thinks of me.

Brad,
consider yourself treasurer. ;) It's amazing what similarities we all have with this issue, you could have been describing me in your post. I'll go you one better, i'll ask Ron and Parker to start another forum area called 'THE LONELY LOSERS LOUNGE'. :D

And as far as going out to meet my "soul mate" (I really dislike that term, it sounds too much like "cell mate"), go out where? If you mean clubs or other social gatherings like that, I won't because i'm not really into that stuff, so, in theory, my soul mate (who's supposed to share my same intrests) wouldn't either, right? So why would I find her at those places?

It doesn't matter anyway, I can go the rest of my life without finding anyone and be just fine with it, if it happens, great, if not, no sweat.

Patrick,
envy may be a bad color, but sadly it's one that many of us wear from time to time, we can't control it when the feeling hits us. Lonliness will do that to you if it really gets to you, and you start to think about other people and the fact that they get to cuddle up next to another warm body at night when all you have is your cat to lay next to.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself with that statement, I assure you, it's just something that alot of people feel, including me from time to time.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Wow, hate! That is deep. I just get concerned when people use "I need to find someone." I think it's great some of you are paired off and splittin' the bill. Someone needs to buy those ugly-ass mini-vans. We all, though, can't be coupled. We need some cats walking the earth like Kwai Chang Kane. You know, guys with dogs, movie posters still hung proudly in the living-room and paying ridiculous amounts of taxes so your rugrats can have an education. Oh, and no country white-wash furniture and flippin' geese in the kitchen. Suck in that domesticated sit-down dinner gut and show her you care. I, on the other hand, have a date with someone's daughter at the very asexual Denny's. Seriously, it's Valentine's Day, what is to hate? The candy is good too. And on Feb 15th, it goes 1/2 price at Rite Aid....yummy!

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"Keira Knightley, Eva Longoria, Eva Mendes, Anne Hathaway, Josie Maran, Kristin Kreuk, Michelle Branch, Ali Landry, Kelly Hu and Scarlett Johansson"

Gawd. Now I know I'm old. I haven't heard of any of these people ....

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I do love candy hearts those are always pretty good...the only part of the day I find tolerable.

I love some of the suggestions here, about how if we want to find someone we should just go out. I live in a small town...so where exactly am I supposed to go? The town has a lot of bars, but I don't drink and am horribly uncomfortable every time I go in to a place like that. When I say small town I'm talking like 13,000 people, and actually I live 10 miles out of this town.

BTW, I personally don't expend a whole lot of energy hating anything. I mean I hate cocanut but I don't spend all of my life obsessing over my hatred for cocanut I just want nothing to do with it. Same goes for movies, there are movies that piss me off, but those movies are not something I obsess over.

Hatred is not necessarily a bad thing, letting it consume you is when it gets problematic. That's true for virtually any kind of obsession though not just ones rooted in anger.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
True. I usually don't hate V-Day as much as this thread seems, but when you get me going on it, I tend to go off on a rant because there are so many things that have been lost on what the real meaning of this holiday is anyways.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I've been single for the same reasons for about 10 years. Ironically, Valentine's day is one of the holidays I look forward to. When in a relationship, I used to hate having to live up to the expectations of this holiday. Buy them flowers, they wanted candy. Buy them candy, you want them to get fat. Buy them a teddy bear, they're looking for something more adult. Buy them sexy undies, you only love them for sex. Buy them a card, you are too cheap. Buy them a fancy dinner, you are spending too much on something we don't need. Buy them jewelry, ... Uhh... Uhhm... SHIT!! (smacks self in head) There's where I went wrong!!!

My advice, buy them jewelry.:D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Those are the people Jon will be spending V-day with. Anne Hathaway @ 10' and in 7.1, OMG BABY!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"Those are the people Jon will be spending V-day with."

In my wildest dreams, Scott, in my wildest dreams.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

And Anne at 10' is a bit much, I have 8' which brings her down closer to real-life human dimensions. :D I've had Ella Enchanted for 3 months now, and I still to this day couldn't tell you what that damn movies about cause i'm too busy skipping around it. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Not at all of fan of this day also, but am willing to go through the motions if it makes the woman happy... My view is, is my hate for this stupid day more important than her love for it? So, whatever floats her boat, if it gets me laid, I am game :D.

Not that it matters this time around, having ended the relationship last weekend.

Now, the absolute fucking worse Valentine Day I ever had was 2 years ago when I spent the day in family court arguying with my ex over our daughter. Sitting at home instead alone in front of the TV would have been a welcome break that day. Heck, that is what I ended up doing that evening anyway... One of the single worse days of my life.

In the end, about V-day, I just honestly don't care enough to even be depressed, it truly means nothing to me. If it gets to you, it's because somewhere, it does mean something to you.

--
H - Some serious hate in the thread though. My relationship just ended quite unexpectedly, and I ain't that bitter. Damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.