What's new

Anyone else really hate Valentines Day? (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Well said!

Thankfully, my wife doesn't hold much stock in Valentines day. You should treat your loved one with just as much love every day of the year.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Celebrate Quirkyalone Day instead!

http://quirkyalone.net/qa/iqd.php

I'm like John. I'm fine with being single the majority of the time and have my moments of loneliness, like everyone single AND attached. I've done a variety of things to meet women and have met some interesting ones but none who have truly caught my attention or imagination. I suppose some people perceive me as "hiding out" since I'm not actively searching for someone now, but it's really that I'm living my life. I enjoy the company of my friends, even though the majority of them are attached. I envy them sometimes, but most of the time I feel happy for them because it seems like they are the minority if you look at the statistics.

As far as V-Day, it's a blip on the radar. It may bug me, but it's only momentary as I pass by the red and pink displays to the DVD section of the store :). I imagine this year, like others, I will just go about my day, remember "Oh yeah, it's Valentines Day." and then remember, "Ooh, tomorrow I get to buy the final season of Angel on DVD! I can't wait!"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those who hate this holiday. I know "love" can mean more than just a "realationship" (i.e. like your love for your parents), but the holiday has definitely been taken over by the "realationship" people. It truly is nauseating to those not in relationships.

I mean, why not make holidays where we celebrate "walking" and make those (in wheelchairs) feel bad.

Why not celebrate "Sight Day" and make blind people feel bad.

Why not celebrate "Money" day and rub it in the faces of the poor and homeless.

You see where I'm going with this. ;)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
This may be a shocker for some of you...

I broke up with my last girlfriend on Valentine's Day. :eek:

Actually, we knew it wasn't working out, but I was the one who took the initiative. It just happened to be Feb. 14. That's all.

But I may be thinking of getting into a new relationship in the future. I recently purchased an electric guitar and have heard they're great "chick magnets" -- as long as you know how to play the darn thing. :D

As for Valentine's Day itself, of course it was created in order to sell more crap! Christmas wasn't originally a crap-gathering festival until the arrival of the 20th century. But Valentine's Day seems to have been invented specifically for this! It just drives me nuts!

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
"Hate" is not a strong enough word.

Disdain. Abominate. Despise. Disgust. Loathe. Execrate. Abhor.

Find this Saint Valentine and kill him. But slowly.

MC

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Guys, guys, listen to Elinor!!! What, you think that that special someone is gonna come looking for ya?

So what do you guys do. You can only play D&D for so long!

I shudder to think what you guys do do. I once had a friend who was in your boat, no girl friend and he was always moaning about it. Well, basically his life consisted of getting up, going to work/school, coming home, popping a drink of some kind (usually a brewski) and sitting around with his equally lonely buddies listening to music or watching TV; night after night after........ you get the picture. According to the quote above, there ain't much left is there?:frowning:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think some of you are missing the point.

For me, its not a matter of I want to be in a relationship so bad that's why Feb. 14 sucks. My last relationship was so bad for me that I came pretty damn close to swearing off women for good. So, I don't feel like I have to be in a relationship.

Its more like this. Its like once a year, a new joke is told and only a certain percentage of the population get the joke. They find the joke to be funny and laugh it up and those people that heard the joke but don't get it are just left to stand and feel like an idiot.

It is the in-your-face mentality that comes with the day, and it may not be from individuals in your life...but its what you see on TV, hear on the radio, and see in the stores.

If you love being in a relationship that's fine and wonderful but you should express that love all year-round which would negate the need for some sort of special make-up day.

I am so glad that even a lot of people married or that have significant others know what we're talking about.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I am currently single, but have a girl interested in me that I feel the same way about. I still hate Valentine's Day and the thought makes me wanna vomit. :thumbsdown:

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I don't recommend that. You'll still hate V. Day AND you'll have a bad taste in your mouth.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

So do we get rid of Christmas just because there are people who don't celebrate it? Might as well get rid of Chanukah as well.

Or you could just go on with YOUR life and be happy with YOURself.

Sorry, I just don't see all the bitterness. And yes, I have been single during Valentines Day before. Big deal!?

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Fucking Arbor Day! Like I need the extra pressure to plant a damned tree on some arbitrary day. I don't even have a yard to plant one in. Stupid holiday -- cut 'em all down and burn 'em, I say. Fucking Hallmark...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
V-day pisses me off. I can't get into any restaurant to eat dinner! Looks like another SubWay Saturday for me.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
When I was with someone, the holidays, including Valentine's Day, were more difficult. My bfs were always with someone else, so I couldn't spend them the way I wanted. I tend to be too obsessive about things, including relationships, and I've never felt better than this long stretch being unattached. I barely notice Valentine's Day at all now, and couldn't care less about other people's relationships.

I can handle flings, but I plan to never give my heart like I have in the past. Works for me. :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Aw Elizabeth, that special guy is just waiting for you out there somewhere. You'll give your heart again, it just takes the right person.:b

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Chuck (and oh, that name is of such emotional significance to me), I guess I shouldn't say "never", but I'm in no rush whatsoever. I'm a very independent person, and I enjoy my "freedom". I can't help but equate a relationship with emotional upheavals, compromises, frustrations, etc.

But if things ever change, I'm sure I'll find an appropriate thread for that as well. ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't call it bitter. I'd call it justifiable distaste and/or bewilderment over the bitterness you exhibit, which shows a bit too much of a "the world is against me" viewpoint. His analogies point out the silliness of the "Valentine's Day rubs it in too much" attitude quite well.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Gawd, I hate V-Day. I suppose breaking up with my girfriend this week doesn't help. Actually, I didn't break up with her....she dumped me.

Now playing on my CD player....Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" :frowning:

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

My question to you Mark is, why "hate" anything?
Hate was your choice or wording, not mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.