What's new

Anyone else really hate Valentines Day? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LMAO! Well, people piss me off in the real world, but I usually let that stuff go...too much effort and energy wasted in arguing.

I only like to argue on the internet because whenever I feel like too much effort is being wasted, I can just log off. :D but for some odd reason, I don't mind putting any amount of energy into arguing here. ;)

PhillJones

Second Unit

I'd take that trade. The problem with the slush is that when the temperature drops the next night, the city becomes an ice rink. Mass General Hospital ER has full to the brim with people with broken limbs for two days now. It's a lot more dangerous than snow.

My wife broke her arm two weeks ago when there was a bad ice day.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
PhilJones: I agree. Wait til next week, temperatures are supposed to be warmer by late next week in the NYC area, talking like 40deg highs but still below freezing at night. Watch out for the refreeze!

Jay

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I didn't even receive the pity bouquet I ordered for myself :frowning:

Happy V-Day Mark, wherever you are :P

--
H

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That SUCKS! I'm usually oblivious enough to wander through without giving the day much thought.

This year, Valentine's Day was beautiful if cold. Yesterday was even MORE miserable than last year though. I still can't get over being in the Boylston outbound platform and watching the water come down the subway stairs like a waterfall. I took a couple second video with my phone:
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/91/htf_imgcache_25982.jpeg] [/url]

It was literally impossible to make my commute yesterday without being soaked up past my ankles.

EDIT: YouTube fucked up the first video upload.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have honestly barely remembered it is Valentine's Day today. It took me an hour to figure out that maybe that's why a couple of people brought doughnuts and manapua to work this morning.

I don't like or hate this "holiday" -- I am barely aware of it anymore.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Ah, pragmatic (smug) marrieds that we are, the missus and I didn't do anything special yesterday, but we will be going for a nice meal today instead. Since we got married, each year we go out just before or after the 14th instead, to avoid all the Valentine's Day crowds and nonsense of special (compulsory) set menus that most restaurants seem to have on the 14th.

Yesterday I got stuck working late (relatively, that is, past 8pm) as we had an urgent project to finish; I was rather puzzled when one of the juniors wanted to leave at 6.30 saying he had reservations, and the other one had already gone! It wasn't till later that I remembered the date...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The best thing about this thread is watching the attitude towards V-Day change according to the single/attached status of some posters. A dyed-in-the-wool anti-holiday, anti-capitalist, anti-materialist; who would feed ol' St. Val to a pack of ravenous wolves if given the chance, suddenly becomes a candy heart and Hallmark sporting romantic just because someone with the appropriate plumbing is now paying attention to them.

It just goes to show you that all the cold, cool, and calculating Madison Avenue types got it pegged exactly right - A man will sell his soul (and empty his wallet) for a little nookie. :laugh:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Thank God I've never been long involved with anyone into pet names, aside from something like "Hon". I did have one girlfriend who called me "Kiddo" and I hated it with the white hot heat of 1000 suns. I figured I'd try the "non-verbal" communication stuff mentioned earlier in this thread; rolling my eyes, gritting my teeth, putting my hands over my ears and letting out a blood curdling scream . . . but she never got the hint. I guess us guys just aren't any good at the non-verbal thing. :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Meh, who's got the energy anymore. Besides i've done all my venting here enough to have it out of my system for at least another year or so. :D

I just avoid the stores, especially Hallmark, that place is a deathtrap for V-day haters, fast forward through those aweful jewelery commercials and ignor it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had a girlfriend in several years and I find that the longer I'm without one, the more I start to like the holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread