What's new

Anyone else really hate Valentines Day? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The problem that I see is, the diamond is a symbol of love, but most women have gotten it confused and now think that the diamond IS love. Meaning, without the diamond, they don't feel like they have the love. But that's B.S. because the diamond is only a symbol and the love isn't any less if there is no diamond to symbolize it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Nah, most of the women here are cool. They probably agree with us.

The type of women that expect diamonds, probably don't frequent these boards. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Gotta marvel at the amount of bile directed toward a day celebrating love... I could think of worse things to celebrate.

--
H

PhillJones

Second Unit

No, it's the commercialization of valentine's day that the real bile is being directed at. It's like Christians who don't like the commercialization of Christmas, only without the boycott of target.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

If a man spent thousands of dollars on a stupid diamond for me, I'd be furious! Honestly! I never wear jewelry (it's useless), and I would be scared to wear that much value on my finger! (Anyway, I do not agree with the whole "wearing a ring because I'm taken" message.) Now, a nice LCD TV, would be a different story. . . ;)

The love of my life never gave me anything, ever. In 7 years, we probably ate out a handful of times, which I usually paid for. We went to one movie. All I wanted was his valuable time. He had children to provide for, and I actually lent him pretty big money when he was in debt. I loved him, and I sure wasn't in it for material things. Of course, I was much younger and I thought love was measured by my willingness to die for that person. (And I'm afraid I still might. . .)

I do admit I had another boyfriend that did spend money on me, including trips. But I have never, ever gotten over the poor one.

As noted earlier, I'm totally done with love and relationships for now, though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Like Phill says, it's not celebrating love. It's celebrating how much your love is worth.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why? Are you saying that you are assuming we've never had any interaction with women because of our views?

So if I say "I would never buy something expensive for my girlfriend because Valentines day is B.S." that means I've never been in a real relationship, otherwise I wouldn't have this view point?

Well, I'll tell ya that all of the women I've dated, have had the same view point as I do. Why? Because those are the type of women I date. I don't get involved with the ones who expect me to shell out tons of cash to express my love.

It has nothing to do with lack of experience. I just don't date vain people. So how does that make me less experienced? because I'm not involved in a whipped relationship? ;) I'd like to think that I've had enough experience to known not to get involved in one of those. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Are they not attentive enough or is there sufficient marketing going on that women are being conditioned and primed? The vast majority of the consumerism you see is geared towards getting men out to open their wallets. Isn't that just a bit sexist and self serving? What will guys get? A power washer so they can hose down the siding? Maybe another power tool?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Nah, they get more insulting commercials where they are portrayed as buffoons. :D

and what's the response I seem to get whenever I asked a newly engaged woman what her (soon to be) husbands gift was?
Answer: "His gift is ME!" ;)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to start my new St. Valentine's Day custom this year. I shall go to the pet store and buy my wife a new puppy. Then cut its head off.

J/K! (I'll use a cat)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Reading this thread, I don't know what to say. My wife thinks that I don't have a ounce of romance in me - she should read this thread! Valentines day is just another day to celebrate an occasion. We celebrate birthdays, new years, former presidents (if your a government worker), even divorce anniversaries these days. Why not a day for couples to celebrate their love for one another? All holidays get commercialized if you let it get to you. I ignore all the jewelry ads, etc.. Also, if your not in love, just skip it! I don't celebrate halloween in any way shape or form, but I don't care if others do.

We have been married 17 years now & I still don't have a clue what to do for Valentines day. She doesn't care how much it costs or any status symbol of any type. She likes romance and to know that I have taken time out to think and do something just for her. Make her feel special and spoiler her a little. I want to do something for her, because I would probably not even think about romance otherwise. It is also a good time for us to have some time together with out the kids around. We have been married long enough that she has accepted the fact that I don't know what to do, and I have learned how to pick up on her subtle hints.

We will go out for dinner tomorrow even though we go out 2-3 times a week anyway, but it will be just us without the kids. Maybe I will even open the car door for her. I also bought her a gift card to a day spa. That way someone who knows how to fuss over her can massage her feet & cut her toe nails. :eek:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Drobbins, that's the spirit.

In other words, it just ain't that serious (good or bad). Not for us (guys), really.

This applies to the vast majority of women. Actually, the vast majority of people -- male, female or otherwise.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.