What's new

Anyone else protect their Remotes with plastic? (1 Viewer)

Mark Bates

Agent
I feel bad for my equipment. I just sheet rocked a room and didn't realize that sheet rock dust has wings. It covered my whole house, including my AV equipment and my remotes. Luckily my new reciever arrived 7 days after I finished. My remotes are a mess. I only use two of them 90% of the time and the others find themselves in the strangest places covered in dirt, grime and scratches. They all still work like a charm, even my 8 year old VCR remote thats been through wars and it seems women find it a good weapon when they get mad at me. :b

My dog is a little smaller. Just shy of 60lbs and he is a lap dog as well. Sometimes he takes a running leap from behind me over the side of the chair. I don't see him until he lands. I don't mind him on my lap. I just wish he wouldn't ambush me anymore.

He doesn't chew remotes, but loves new boxes. If I get a UPS shipment and he is out side. I can pretty much kiss that box goodbye and hope whatever is inside doesn't break.

Mark

GermainW

Grip
Chris, I thought about keeping silent, then I read all the posts making fun of you... ;)
Just to make you feel better, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! :b
I did that recently when I bought my new Wega 36XBR450.
But after a week, the bloody cling-wrap kept falling off and I eventually got rid of it. :)
Our dad is having a pretty amazing new HT installed (all high end stuff) and already I am contemplating writing a one-page "HT RULES" to be framed and hung on the door. (I DO have a couple of 13-year old siblings with equally rowdy friends!)
The thought of them riding on the B&W 802 like an alien spaceship gives me nightmares.
Miss Anal.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I'm a remote plasticker and proud of it. You guys laugh all you want but wait until you get a newborn drooling over your remotes and you'll understand.

J

John Morris

Hmmm, I currently have a loaner pre/pro till I can get my Outlaw 950, and I am terrified that someone is gonna scratch the remote or component before I can return it. I keep the remote in my office, and my rack is closed unless I open it. Maybe that ziplock bag idea is a good one for now...?

Chris Sigua

Stunt Coordinator
No, No, I'm not anal :D :D. My DVDs aren't alphabetical order or in perfect alignment. The remotes are the only thing in plastic. It's all again, just to keep them from getting greasy or in case someone spills a drink on them.
John Morris, yes the platic does keep it looking new. I have remote from my first VCR (1984) that looks like I just bought it yesterday. So go ahead and put it in the plastic till you return that loaner.
So what's the URL to an on-line therapist :D

J

John Morris

Chris: Hmmmm, maybe that spray on body latex would be more acceptable for remote protection...:D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Well I took the plunge and bought a Pronto Pro TSU6000
tonight off ebay.. The person that is or was selling the
remote paid $689.00 3 weeks ago and wouldn't you know it
his G/F bought him the Onkyo Chad for X-mas.. SO rather
than be in the dog house he decided to sell the Pro..
I used the "Buy It Now" and snagged it for $550.00 and
he says it's in the original box with all documentation
and packaging.. I guess I will find out soon enough if
I got the deal of the century or got hosed..
I don't beleive there is a leather case available for
the Pro.. So maybe I will try that new "ZipLock" option? :D

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Not a plastic bag, but a little tip for that new color Pronto - Saran wrap.

No other brand of plastic wrap has the right physical characterstics of stick, workability and clarity for this to work. This is specifically for Saran brand plastic wrap. I'm actually serious this time.

Take a piece of Saran wrap and carefull trim it to exactly the same size as your Pronto's LCD panel. If the LCD panel is clean the Saran wrap can be very carefully placed to cover the touch screen. Start at one edge and carefully work it down excluding all air bubbles. Again, the screen must be clean and free of dust before you apply the Saran wrap. Once done, your remote will look just like normal, but the touch screen is now protected from dirty fingers and every day scratches.

The cover is cheap so you can always peal it off and put on a new one when it is worn. You could also use the Palm screen protectors if you already have ones that can be made to fit, but a lot of us already have Saran wrap handy.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I keep thinking.. must be Michael Jackson
Too bad you can have a remote for your remote,then you can just get the remote for your remote dirty...or mabey you would need a remote for the remote for the remote to be totally safe:D

Alex F.

Second Unit
Instead of using plastic to protect our remotes, sofa, etc., we simply don environmental-hazard suits whenever we watch television or listen to music. We wore out our Apollo astronaut suits by the early 1980s. Happily, the latest EPA-approved models are a bit more comfortable for long movies, like "Lawrence of Arabia" and "The Godfather." When popcorn oil gets on the suit's gloves or face masks, we simply step into our fully-equipped "scrub-down" room, which permits easy cleaning and full decontamination of the suits. Our motto: "Don't protect your possessions--protect yourself instead."

Vin

Supporting Actor
Chris, I think it's you, not your remotes, that needs to be wrapped! The men in the white coats should be arriving at your home shortly! I suggest you go quietly and maybe your neighbors won't notice. :D
And I hope you were joking when you said you don't have your DVDs in alphabetical order! Are you insane?! ;)

PaulShady

Agent
Wow, am I glad my wife's not reading over my shoulder on this one! She would have my remote saran wrapped before I could log off! But then again, she is a germ-aphobe.
Hey, do you think the boy in the bubble would have to wrap his remote?:D

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I've got you all beat! I've got a left-handed albino lesbian midget in a sanitized climate controlled plastic bubble who keeps all my remotes and presses the buttons when I scream at her. "Start the damn movie or you'll get no food, ya' wee harpy!" It makes calibration a bit tough, but overall it's worth it.

Every week, we remove the midget's fingerprints with muriatic acid so that she doesn't get them all over the touchscreens. And just to be extra safe, my left-handed albino lesbian midget wears large yellow latex dish gloves... and nothing else... because they're sneaky, and will often try to smuggle in sharp items hidden in their clothing.

Someone told me I should get a second remote midget when I upgrade to separates, but they're more dangerous in groups... and they might do some unauthorized breeding in the plastic bubble. Perhaps if I kept them in SEPARATE bubbles, on opposite sides of the room...

And if you think that's bad, you should hear about the midget under the couch that I'm using for a bass-shaker... but that's a story for another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks